In-car videos from my "gulf" Radical

A few years back, I was poking around here, calling people and generally doing research about building a GT40 kit based race car for the NASA enduros...eventually I went a different direction but still retain the Gulf paint job.

Have a few videos on the web from the in-car camera setup I recently purchased...thought I'd share. It's a shame that some of the "kid" in me is gone to where when I'm at the races I don't "pretend" I'm in a Porsche 908 or 917 or GT40 but when I watch the videos afterwards, I can see scenes from "The Speed Merchants" or "Le Mans" in there a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/allegroracing

Rad+large.jpg

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice clip Pete, thanks for posting.

The smoke in the cockpit at the end, was it tire smoke or something more sinister?

Actually it was the left front lower A-arm snapping and deranging the tire. The Radical guys didn't have a spare so I had to pack up and go home.

Fortunately it happened at a slow part of the track and didn't do too much damage.

Nasa,
Very cool video! I have never run Buttonwillow "backwards". Is that the direction that you normally run it? I have driven it 5 times but will definately have to try to do it that way at least once. Almost looks like it would be easier. Although I would miss the beautiful 4 wheel drift if you get magic mountain right. Usually make it to the open track on Thanksgiving weekend but new baby will likely keep me from that one this year. Hope to see you out there some time.

Don

We actually ran three configurations over the weekend, that was 13 CW, on Saturday we ran 25CW and sunday 13 CCW. They "work" equally well either way and are very close in lap time:

race_25_config.gif

This video was from warmup Friday running the other way. On Saturday I had my video system out of the car unfortunatley. Weather was nice, usually it's hot out there (was 116 degrees at Willow Springs at the beginning of the month).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hOC3armvoV8

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Damn but that looked like a great time! Brought back some great memories, too.

Thanks. :)

T.

Looking at Crossle43, reminded me that one of my first jobs was sanding and prep at a restoration shop next door to Crossle Cars Pacific back in the early 80s. Never actually worked there (I failed the "paint my house" test the owner tried to subject me to) but used to poke around there quite a bit. Instead I worked for Jim Russell at Riverside.

whoah, that was wierd...apparently my ORIGINAL log-in that I couldn't get to work suddenly worked on my home computer and I'm logged-in as the replacement account on this computer!

Back