Inner Wheel arches

Hi guys,
a bit of advice needed please. I need to make and fit a pair of inner wheel arches in my rear clip. What recommendation for the board or whatever could be used to fiberglass into place? I hope that makes sense? I obviously want to protect all the components and machinery under the clip as far as possible. Type of board and methods of fixing advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Murray

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys,
a bit of advice needed please. I need to make and fit a pair of inner wheel arches in my rear clip. What recommendation for the board or whatever could be used to fiberglass into place? I hope that makes sense? I obviously want to protect all the components and machinery under the clip as far as possible. Type of board and methods of fixing advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Murray

Murray, I would get a piece of 1/8 melamine(sp?) board, it is white on one side, brown on the back. Cut it to shape. I would wax the white side and use a release agent as well. Fix the board in place - a couple of spots of silicon should do. Then I would lay up the fiberglass on the white side. When the fiberglass cures, pull out the melamine and finish how you like. You should then be able to use the template over again on the opposite side of the clip. Good luck.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Murray, I have another idea for you which maybe easier. You could take a workstation table and give that a couple of coats of wax and then release agent. (Can top an existing table with a sheet of melamine) Lay your fiberglass flat on the table, add your resin and make a flat sheet sized to your requirements. Take a cardboard pattern of the inside wheel arches that you want installed and cut out the fiberglass as required. Now just glass the sized piece in place. Just bear in mind if you are doing a lengthy install that your tail/nose should be leveled as to how it will sit on the car. You do not want to glass the arches in only to find out you twisted your bodywork a little. I have had success both ways suggested.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Something that I've found helpful for these kind of situations is the use of thin sheet aluminum. Glass will pop right off if it once it kicks, it provides a nice surface for the exposed side, and can be easily curved. All flat fiberglass panels I've built (or single dimension curved panels) were done way.

Hi

Try Laying up a panel on a sheet of glass ,the finish is first class .Then use hot melt glue to hold in situe .You can bond it in place with cloth cut on 45degree and then tape over the cloth with 50mm PCV tape,the tape blends in the glass.

Other than that use sicaflex and bond the panel to the clip .

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Murray,

Gregg, Terry and keohep offer some excellent suggestions. Here's one more from the cheap seats:

Chuck (forum member CESLAW) seems to have success using 1/16 inch modeler’s plywood to provide the basic form (click HERE), then simply glass over the top of the finished panels just as the others have suggested.

Looking forward to learning about your success!

Best,

T.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Murray,

If you want an easy way out Lee Dawson would make you some GTD style ones. His email address is in the club membership directory.

Brian.

Thanks everyone, Brian, that's cheating!! Good Man! I do fancy trying it out for myself though, so will be clearing out the garage to make some space, that's after I have sorted out the pond, (major redesign on the filters needed), after I have re-pointed the front of the house, (lovely lime mortar work) and other odd jobs, I shall be all set!!
Thanks again gents,

Back