Interesting surge tank options

Pieces of art. The coolant expansion tank under accessories looks nice also, but appears kind of small in capacity.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Wow- beautiful stuff!

So here is what I have learned: A fuel pump delivers fuel to the fuel rails. When g's occur, fuel can "slosh" preventing the fuel pump from picking up fuel and allowing air to the rails. No good. The surge tank goes between the fuel pump and the rails. Instead, the fuel pump delivers fuel to the surge tank and then a different pump delivers fuel evenly to the rails. If the surge tank overfills, fuel is delivered back to the main tank.

So here are a few questions:

1.With this system, is has pumps integrated in the surge tank. I assume one of the pumps delivers fuel to the rails and the other pump delivers excess fuel back to the main tank. Does the third pump serve as the fuel pump for drawing fuel from the main tank, or would there still be a separate pump in the main tank?

2. I assume an oil "catch can" and coolant expansion tank are indicated. Any specific suggestions on where/what to get?

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Michael

Usually you have a low pressure pump which draws fuel from the fuel tank and delivers it to the surge tank.

An outlet from the bottom of the surge tank is then fed into a high pressure pump which feeds the fuel rails.

The excess unused fuel in the fuel rail is the fed via a return back to the surge tank and the excess in the surge tank is fed via a return back to the fuel tank.

Sometimes the return from the fuel rail is fed straight back to the fuel tank bypassing the surge tank.

The routing of these lines is done this way so that the high pressure pump, which must never be run dry, is able to draw fuel from the surge tank regardless of cornering etc and if the low pressure pump loses fuel it still leaves fuel in the surge tank till the low pressure pump recovers fuel.

Most low pressure pumps are more forgiving of fuel loss for short periods than high pressure pumps.

Hope this helps

Dimi

Perfect explanation.

I'm happy with my ATL swirl pot, but if I were starting over, I would run one of these setups. They are mint.

I ran double and triple in tank pumps in my Supra. They supported more power than I had and were oem quiet.

This also helps with the overall packaging of the engine area. It makes for a neater install.

"2. I assume an oil "catch can" and coolant expansion tank are indicated. Any specific suggestions on where/what to get?"

Moroso makes a decent oil catch can with/without breather. Dave L made a few coolant expansion tanks that are real nice. Not sure he is still in production though. Again Moroso makes a 1.5 Quart tank. Canton makes one too.

Cool find, remember these need a flat on the top of the tank to work, also the depth of the tank plays into it as well. I did not read enough to see if they were height adjustible or if they had a selection that would work in various depths. Noce stuff nonetheless.

I redesigned my tank to use an internal set up, but in my case I built the slosh tank into it with trap doors to hold over a gallon of fuel around the pickups. The hard part for me so far has been the lid that all the electrical and hoses run through, I've mostly got it under control now but no small task that..

"2. I assume an oil "catch can" and coolant expansion tank are indicated. Any specific suggestions on where/what to get?"

Moroso makes a decent oil catch can with/without breather.

I'm using this Moroso unit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85487/overview/ I don't have any street miles yet on the SLC (LS376), but had this piece on my LS6 motored prior kit. I would open the valve and drain the can about every 400-600 miles and about a shot glass worth (give or take) of nasty oil laden fluid would drain out.

Inside picture:

Attachments

• 04-37950.jpg
    04-37950.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 335
Back