Introduction of Gurney Weslake Heads

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Ive looked in various books, but remain unclear as to the introduction of Gurney Weslake cylinder heads on the GT 40.
Could someone please point me to a published date for the first time these cylinder heads were used. Would anyone know in what circumstance the heads were first used.
Was it the Shelby cars etc etc ?

As always, thanks for your help.

Mike Teske will know not only the date but probably the time of day, LOL. He recently moved to Tenn and I don't know how to reach him, Wayne

Shelby and Gurney formed AAR (All American Racers) and built a Lola T70 for the 1966 Can AM season that used a small block Ford utilizing the heads. Gurney was driving for Ford in several races, and the Shelby Ford connection was there of course, hence the AAR (Shelby/Gurney) Lola/Ford was a natural.
I guess this was early 1966. If the Shelby GT40's used the heads after that I would imagine it grew out of Gurney's success in the Can Am with the engine.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
According to Legate, JWA started using the Gurney heads just before or at the start of the '68 season.

from Ford GT40 by Trevor Legate, pg. 106

OK so to sum up the info for Andy, the heads were developed for and first used on the Shelby/Gurney Lola T70 Can Am car and were used on the GT40 for the 1968 season. Right ?

Back