Is it really possible obtain a $50KUS GT40 replica?

Pat

Supporter
It seems that in the US it has become very difficult to obtain a quality car if you don't have the capacity to do a moderate amount of fabrication time (vs simple assembly). The demise of CAV and Superperformance and the wait time for ERA all seem to have compounded it.
As I've researched the various threads, there have been a lot of posts about the possibility of a +/-$50K (my target expense without visiting divorce court) kit by one of the following:

1. Go to the UK and buy one there and ship it back less engine to get it accepted by the DOT as a kit. This takes advantage of the larger availability there. I have know idea as to the hassle value.

2. Wait for an older completed car to hit the marketplace and jump on it (assuming it is restorable).

3. Get something like an RF kit and scrounge/fabricate locally some of the modules to lower the cost (instruments,
wiring, shocks etc.

Any other options or thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Veek

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Veek,
I've had a GTD40, complete for sale for a lot less than that. Must have missed your email. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't think I've ever seen an "authentic" turnkey minus for less than $ 50k....so if that's an unbreakable budget,
you'll be doing some work regardless of who's in business.

You're right about a lot more used cars available in the UK,
but unless you have friends there, it could be difficult
to find someone willing to take out the drivetrain
and ship it to the US. ANd waiting for a used one to appear
on the US market for $ 50k could be a while.
"Authentic" replicas seem to be holding their value well.

So to stay under $ 50k, you'll have to invest considerable
sweat equity, or get lucky finding a partially completed
kit. There are some of those in the US, such as Gordy's.
The real question is how much "fabrication" you feel
comfortable with. The better kits/cars don't need many
"special" skills...just a lot of patience.
And having a friend who can do bodywork/paint is half
the battle. You can spend an awful lot
if you farm it out to professionals.
Good luck

MikeD

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]

(my target expense without visiting divorce court)

[/ QUOTE ]

May be worth the visit. For me it was, heck my "ex" begs for rides now. After the ride she took me for, I simply drive away smiling as I listen to the song of 8 cylinders singing in my ears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A GT40 can be had for less than $50k. I bought a complete, deluxe RF kit with engine, 8-stack EFI, transaxle w/LSD, metal brake, and lots of goodies. The cost to complete it, including my expenses to drive to Texas and bring it home, would have been a little less than $50k if I paint it myself (which I will) and if I had not decided to add all sorts of little goodies to it (like bigger wheels and tires, Gulf flares, 6-speed transaxle, powder-coated panels, AN fittings and hardware, 6-point harnesses, rear anti-roll bar). Even with all that stuff the cost won't be much over $50k. I made a conscious decision not to keep a detailed accounting because I probably don't want to know (and I sure as hell don't want my wife to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Your best bet will be to bide your time and wait for a partially completed kit, or to go with the RF and keep your options to a minimum (i.e., cheap engine, carb instead of EFI, no leather, etc.). It's been a while since I looked over RF's price list, but I don't think you'll save much money, if any, by fabricating your own parts. You'll certainly spend a hell of a lot of time figuring stuff out and tracking down parts. I guess you could source your own gauges and order a harness from Painless, stuff like that, but, again, what you save in money you'll pay for in time.

Good luck.

I have a Gulf GT40 Replica for sale for around $54 000
Replica of Jacky Icxx 1075(number 6) 1969 le mans winner.

It's been featured in two magazines - South African Street and track edition 20 - 3 page article double page poster and Road Rage just a picture.

Here are some details on the car.

Drivetrain
- Ford 302 Windsor motor (tuned)
- 270 Degree cam
- endelbrock single plane inlet manifold
- 600 CFM Holley Carb
- MSD electronic ignition with MSD distributor

- Audi type 016 transaxle
- true replica of bundle of snakes exhaust ( full cross over system - sounds amazing!
- Ceramic coated inside and out to prevent corrosion and cut down on heat dissipation.

Brakes
- front : Four pot calipers on vented and slotted disks.
- rear : Solid disks with built in handbrake facility.

Suspension
- Spherical rod ends - fully adjustable without need to remove or add components with coils springs.
shocks rear adjustable. Anti roll bar front and rear.

Interior
- black leather
- airconditioner

Wheels and tyres
- Compomotive rims
- 305/50 X 15 rear tyres.
- 205/60 X 15 front tyres
- tyres are rearly new only about 1000ks done on them..
- spare wheel fitted

- Paint job is only 7 months old and is still totally immaculate.

let me know if you are interested ;-)
[email protected]
heres a link to more pictures of the car - ie engine bay etc
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/charliebsa1983/album?.dir=/dbb2

Attachments

• 40783-JohnsGT403sideview.jpg
    40783-JohnsGT403sideview.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 301

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Do not put the Superformance GT in the "demised" catagory...the project has been moved, not cancelled! Note that the SPF Brock coupe did take a year longer than originally projected but it is generally thought to be better than expected. The GT40 will happen, will be right and will be a great value (note the word VALUE, not price. Price is only PART of value...)
I was very sorry to see CAV go away as I thought they had a great product at a very good price point. I think there is room in the market for a range of product, from ERA to RF they all supply a product for different needs, wants and budgets.
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for the note. I've sent you an e-mail.

Thanks to all for the various personal e-mails. I actually found a local CAV today that is in the $100K-US range here in Orlando. Beautiful car, perfect fit and finish but a sure trip to divorce city. So the search continues. I appreciate the responses and it looks like Gordy had it right, jump on the right deal that comes open.

V/R
Veek

Back