Is the right to bear arms outdated.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Tom, you get an F in history too. Sorry. Study harder, do better next time.

You get an F in history. That quote -- which you gun nuts have all adopted as troof -- is most likely false. More importantly, Hitler actually loosened government regulation of firearms versus the regulation that preceded his government under the Weimar Republic.

The Hitler gun control lie - Salon.com

I agree this thread is worthless at this point but at least don't go manufacturing history.

Jeff,

Which part brought down my grade, the quote which is my wife's translation from a late '40's German newspaper article, or my understanding of our forefathers reasoning for the Second Amendment?

Now remember, Jeff, today is Washington’s 281st birthday!!

Tom

I found this interesting because the Japanese are often used as an example for gun control:
The original question was "When and why did Japan ban guns?"

"The reason Japan first imposed gun control in the 1600's was because of the empowerment which guns provided for lower castes. Even with a lifetime of military training, a samurai could still be shot dead by a peasant with a gun. This equalizer was a great threat to the social hierarchy of Japan, and so guns had to be regulated."

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I found this interesting because the Japanese are often used as an example for gun control:
The original question was "When and why did Japan ban guns?"

"The reason Japan first imposed gun control in the 1600's was because of the empowerment which guns provided for lower castes. Even with a lifetime of military training, a samurai could still be shot dead by a peasant with a gun. This equalizer was a great threat to the social hierarchy of Japan, and so guns had to be regulated."

And there you have it!

26 first try, 29 second try. Rapid fire 25..
Tried 6 more times. Best rapid fire was 28, 29, 27
The other three were 25, 26, 23.

Last edited:
Holy crap. I had to check myself there. For just a minute I saw this thread and thought time had gone into a perpetual loop. luckily my coffee went cold, causing me to realise that what I thought to be a temporal anomaly, was, in fact, simply this bloody thread going round and round and round and rou.................

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

So, again, history repeats itself...

There's now a movement afoot here in the U.S. to get the U.S. Supreme Court to, in effect, strike down our CLEAR constitutional right to carry concealed weapons. That's just plain NUTS.

Had The Founders NOT intended to grant us the right to carry concealed, they'd have SAID IN PLAIN ENGLISH we had the right to 'BEAR OPENLY, BUT NOT CONCEALED'. But, they didn't. They said we have the right to BEAR ARMS - PERIOD.

I would submit that forcing everyone to carry openly is just an outright invitation to disaster. (If someone needs an explanation spelling out WHY that's the case - there's no hope for 'em.)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Just when y'all thought this thread was dead & buried:

Here's a vid of a REAL LIFE situation that ought to answer Pete's original question, "Is the right to bear arms outdated", once and for all.

Oh, and Pete?, please note the perp here isn't an an Indian, nor is he wearing a Civil War uniform! ;):D

Veteran turns tables on would-be robber | Fox News Video

Now, all you 'anti-carry' types can SPECULATE all you want as to what might have happened if the counterman HADN'T been packin' - but there's absolutely no question about what actually DID happen here because he WAS.

And did any of you 'gun-owners-are-all-wild-west-COWBOYS-who'll-use-any-excuse-to-shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later' people notice the counterman SHOT N-O-B-O-D-Y???????????

'Sorry to 'bump' the thread...but, this vid was just too darned applicable.

'I shuddup' now...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Homework assignment for Jeff: 'can' the deflection/redirection and counter the reality depicted in the video. ('Hard to argue with, izzunit.)

That store clerk is a veteran and a prison guard. I'm sure he is well trained and why shouldn't he be able to carry?

Here is the real problem.......... the clerk prevented the robbery and now the potential charges have been reduced from armed robbery to attempted robbery. He will get probation and next time he needs a quick $300, he will just shoot the clerk from the candy aisle because asking nicely does not work in this country anymore!

Why have we not installed trap doors just in front of the counter at all convenience stores yet? Just hit a button and the floor opens up revealing a water slide that splashes down in Mexico.

Just kidding, carry on gentlemen.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
..the clerk prevented the robbery and now the potential charges have been reduced from armed robbery to attempted robbery. He will get probation...

Not unless the judge is a liberal LOON. The fact that a GUN was used SHOULD prohibit "probation".

Not really Larry what the officer is saying is " We have failed to adequately protect the citizens of Detroit and dont look like being able to anytime soon, under the circumstances we feel its best that you deal with criminals yourselves by shooting them"

Bob

Not really Larry what the officer is saying is " We have failed to adequately protect the citizens of Detroit and dont look like being able to anytime soon, under the circumstances we feel its best that you deal with criminals yourselves by shooting them"

Bob

Sounds to me that he is advocating the use of guns as lethal force to stop crime that the police can't stop.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Bob

Agreed. You and Al are BOTH exactly right.

But, he is also saying that a .45 cal. round (or cal. of your preference) can get to/stop a bad guy anywhere, anytime, looooong before a LEO can, and, as a citizen, one has the right not only to own/carry a firearm - one has the right to defend himself with it too. BOTH are completely legal and proper.

Which would any rational person rather have in his hand during a home invasion for instance; a phone or a hand gun? 'No brainer 'far as I'm concerned...

Back