Isle of Man TT fastest ever lap 136.358mph

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
1979 was the last time that I went to the IoM races.
Mike Hailwood and Alec George fought it out and the record was about 112 mph then !

Mike Pass

Supporter
I was at the TT regularly back in the sixties to see Hailwood on the 250cc six and Agostini on the MV. Also lucky enough to see Bill Ivy do the first 100mph lap on a 125cc and those crazy 50cc bikes with 14 gears! The course was a lot bumpier back then.
Cheers
Mike

evening boys sam used to race a vanveen cridler 50cc gp bike, then a Honda rs125 that I sold to the Joey Dunlop foundation ,then on to the 600s and 1000cc fire blades ,I would never let him on the roads but he spanered for the top teems and riders for Honda at the northwest 200 and tt

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I was at the TT regularly back in the sixties to see Hailwood on the 250cc six and Agostini on the MV. Also lucky enough to see Bill Ivy do the first 100mph lap on a 125cc and those crazy 50cc bikes with 14 gears! The course was a lot bumpier back then.
Cheers
Mike
The 60's Suzuki RP 50cc gearbox.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...you're a-doin' 130+ mph...when a cow (deer...dog...spectator...whatever) decides to just meeeeeander right out onto roadway in front of ya.
THEN what?
'Too high of a danger-level for this gutless wonder! ;-)
(Those guys are nuts!)

Howard Jones

Supporter
There are not more than 6 or so people on the planet that can do what Mike posted above. The TT may be the hardest most dangerous thing that is done in sports. I can only tip my hat to the guys that do this to win.

Neil

Supporter
There are not more than 6 or so people on the planet that can do what Mike posted above. The TT may be the hardest most dangerous thing that is done in sports. I can only tip my hat to the guys that do this to win.
Not to take anything away from TT riders but.....

Annapurna III.jpg

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
That video first makes me motion sick. Second my brain cannot process looking forward at that speed. These guys and rally drivers have incredible high speed processing capability...

I can only think many laps around the TT develops a muscle memory to proactively shift body weight etc in advance of bumps and turns. At these speeds a ‘reaction’ is too late and you are in a hedge (or worse).

Neil

Supporter
That video first makes me motion sick. Second my brain cannot process looking forward at that speed. These guys and rally drivers have incredible high speed processing capability...
Again, not taking anything away from TT riders but this is high speed mental processing as well- and not without a bit of risk.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The Senior TT, the main event of the Isle of Man TT, runs six laps for a total race length of over 226 miles. That's what makes this so friggin frightening to me. SIXLAPS like that! The lap above is about 17 minutes. 6 laps would be something like ONE HOUR AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTES. And they do a tire change and refuel in the middle. So with less than record pace the other 5 laps and the stop it's going on nearly TWO FRIGGIN HOURS !!!!!! I am almost surprised ANYONE can do that.

Kinda like this for 2 hours, not 8 seconds.

Mike Pass

Supporter
This when it all goes wrong. Hard to watch.
Manxman Connor Cummins losing it at the Verandah up on the mountain. Amazingly he recovered well and carries on racing in the TT and ran well in this years TT.
Cheers
Mike

Neil

Supporter
Thanks but I would rather taking my supercharge MG TC special round the course at a more enjoyable but spirited pace and stop at the occasional pub.
That's the point- everyone has his own opinion of which sport is dangerous & demanding. We tend to think that our own sport is the hardest.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Many people are not aware of the Manx Classic which is a 3 day hillclimb competition run on some parts of the TT course. GT40s were entered many times. Here is a video that I took of the 2007 event which on day 1 evening ran back then the reverse way UP Bray Hill. The second day at the Sloc out in the countryside and day 3 on the TT course in Ramsay from May Hill up through the Ramsay Hairpin and up to just past the Gooseneck. Sorry about the video quality as I only had a small cheap camera with me, The red GTD driven by Martin Gough is the car I now have. Lots more Manx GT40 videos on Youtube.
Of course the mountain section is still speed limit free so I have enjoyed many a quick run over the mountain section in my GTD ( and a pint in the Creg-Ny-Baa hotel) , GT40s and other cars.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Back