IVA and Mini Cooper Mirrors on Tornado

I'm thinking of fitting Mini Cooper (BMW) door mirrors on a Tornado (Mk I body), does anyone know if it will pass IVA re. the viewing angles, I don't have the Gulf wheel arches?

Keith

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

I would say not at a guess. If you look down the side of a 40 the standard rear arches protrude quite a way out from the side of the car at the point the mirrors are mounted.

The only real way to find out is fit them and then see if the IVA triangle of visibility can be seen from the drivers seat on both sides.

Thanks

Andy

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

The test for the rear field of view is quite complicated for what it is.

The height of the mirrors is measured and then a conversion table is consulted giving the correct marker measurements for the markers on the testing poles.

The markers are stuck on the poles and the tester sits in the driving seat and must be able to see all three markers on both sides of the car without having to move his head into a position that would not be acceptable during normal driving.

You can have the same mirrors fitted in the same position on both sides and one side will pass and the other can fail.

We have a standard set up that we use during the IVA test that we know will pass.

Thanks

Andy

gone are the days when my rf passed sva with a quick drive round the car park to check the mirrors . I used bmw mini electric door mirrors ( adjustable .retracting and heated ) mounted on the door and they give a pretty good view when driving

Back