Junkyard electric vacuum pump for brake booster?

What is everyone using for a stand-alone vacuum pump for a power brake booster? Do any of the oem vehicles have a 12v vacuum pump that functions stand-alone? Or any affordable aftermarket pumps? Just a street car, not going to be tracked or driven (too) aggressively!
Thanks!
Dave

Hella UP28 can be found on several domistic cars like Volvo's. Works great.
Pulls enough vacuum for two brake servo's.
Switched trough a brakelight switch.
Pulls 25-28inhg vacuum instandly.

Thanks! That unit looks like a great option.
Just running the pump on a relay activated by the brake switch, do you have a delay in brake assist? What about panic braking?

Reading, looks like
1. some are running it on a pressure switch that kicks on when pressure drops below a threshold.
2. some are running a vacuum reservoir in line with the pump.

Neil

Supporter
What is everyone using for a stand-alone vacuum pump for a power brake booster? Do any of the oem vehicles have a 12v vacuum pump that functions stand-alone? Or any affordable aftermarket pumps? Just a street car, not going to be tracked or driven (too) aggressively!
Thanks!
Dave
Look for a diesel-engined pickup truck in and junkyard. Diesels don't generate a vacuum so they use an electrically-driven pump to create vacuum for brake and cruise control servos. A Dodge Ram pickup has a nice little pump. Rock Auto also sells them.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
This is the one I've used on my radical cammed street machines.
'Does EXACTLY what the company SAYS it will.
(The price has gone UP a bit since I bought my last ore about 4-5 years ago though...)

Thanks! That unit looks like a great option.
Just running the pump on a relay activated by the brake switch, do you have a delay in brake assist? What about panic braking?

Reading, looks like
1. some are running it on a pressure switch that kicks on when pressure drops below a threshold.
2. some are running a vacuum reservoir in line with the pump.
I have severals cars converted to a run a Hella UP28.
Just hooked up to the brake servo, switched by the brakelight switch, and ofcourse a relay in the wiring.
There is absolute no delay in brake assist. It pulls more inhg vacuum then your engine does and way quicker.
On a night over you might experiance a delay on the first push.
It works fine in compettition also.

Back