Just saying Hi

Hi Guys,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Phil and I am a massive motorsport enthusiast - F1, Rally, NASCAR, Touring cars, Le Mans, anything with four wheels and an engine. I am a software tester but should have been an engineer - I did Mechanics and Electronics at college and the first year of a Mechanical Engineering degree at University but just couldn't quiet get the maths.

When I was young I wanted an AC Cobra and asked my Dad how long it would take to buy a real one if I saved 1 pound of my pocket money each week - 900 years! So I decided I would build my own. Without a garage to do this in, I have had to wait until middle-age to buy my own house with a garage before seriously starting to think about doing this. I am practical and can build IKEA furniture and put up a shelf, I even serviced my R5, but nothing like building a real car.

I am hoping to go the the Kit Car Show in August to see what I am letting myself in for. There is no Mrs at the moment to justify this to, so full steam ahead!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Phil... There's plenty to learn, but a lot of helpful people here and perhaps some that don't live far from you.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Phil for your own benefit, add your country, province or state, and city to your profile. People will offer to help you more readily if you are near to them. I have told several people to just come on over and we'll have a chat about their questions because they were nearby. I have also just asked for a phone number and called them because the time zones were within reason. Where you are can help you.

If you are interested in a cobra project check out: http://www.clubcobra.com/modules/Jig/index.php

Huge cobra knowledge there. Much larger builder community than GT40s. What we don't know at GT40s they surely do. Cobras are a great build. By the way, there are always good deals on finished and running cobras, There are many for sale most of the time. You can almost always fine a cobra for sale at a price that is much lower than the sum of the cost of the parts.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the welcome. I thought I had added my location, but I am based in west London, near Heathrow airport.

Although I originally wanted to build a Cobra, I am actually leaning more towards a GT40. I am going to the Kit Car Show and this should help me norrow down my decision to one make, and then I can use the Club information to decide on the manufacturer.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
West London, probably the biggest club meet monthly!

when restrictions lift at the Fairmile Hotel Cobham 19:30 ish to kicking out time, and meet a great bunch of owners.

ian

Hi again.

I had a look around the Kit Car show in August and there was only two GT40 manufacturers there - Tornado and AK Sports Cars. I though this would give me 3 options, not realising AK bought SGT, which was only confirmed when I visited Southern! I am to visit Tornado as soo as they start test drives again.

I would really like to start something in the summer and look at other peoples cars before diving in. I see the GT40 Enthusiasts Club Surrey meetup has a vacancy, and the recent GT40 visit to Brooklands Museum was cancelled.

Is there anyone in the Heathrow / West London area that would be willing to indulge me in a visit and lots of naive questions?

Back