Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I installed the BMW M3 steering position sensor on the XLR steering intermediate shaft. The brackets I made are modular so they can be removed/installed in stages and for adjustability. I can shim them if needed to get a precise fit. I over built them because they are located directly below the driver side inspection hole. Removing and installing the steering column in the future could possibly knock it out of position as well.

The Tilton 75 series of master cylinders, as supplied with the kit, should not be installed on ABS equipped cars. The pulses from the ABS will destroy the seals inside the master cylinder. Tilton has just released a new version 79 series for ABS equipped cars but it has a different mounting pattern. I ordered AP Racing master cylinders CP9093. They have the correct mounting bolt pattern and the correct centre valve configuration needed for a ABS brake system. Unfortunately each one is 4 times the price…..ugh

278D9DCC-A65E-4EE3-838B-18996BD192F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of the intermediate steering shaft removed from the car. The white plastic steering angle sensor retainer gets installed permanently on the shaft. To help aid in keeping it centred I wrapped aluminum duct tape around the shaft until I had a friction fit. The retainer has male splines on the inner hole which bite into the aluminum foil as it’s slid over it. I lubed it up with Goop adhesive as well. Now the sensor slides onto the shaft and snaps onto the retainer.

613C2B4B-737F-4144-8273-93605CD7543A.jpeg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
To make it easier for myself I made a couple of wood stands for the steering column. The short one supports the steering column just below the studs. The tall one then jams the column up in place so I can then install the washers and nuts.

I used a carbide “F” drill to dimple the splines on the intermediate shaft for the set screw. I took a picture to document the safety part of the build for the upcoming inspection.
FC78D78F-9D5D-49EC-B9D9-8B1C986A28BB.jpeg
E3E9D59C-DEC5-4F0F-9CE6-168604F06BC5.jpeg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I’m about to replace all the brake lines due to converting to the BMW M3 ABS system. Each caliper has it’s own individual brake line. Should I also upgrade the clutch line to 1/4”? I’m using a Ricardo transaxle. I read the recent posts about the preferred line for the GT40 clutch line is 1/4”. All comments welcome.:)

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Like others before me I decided to address the extra work required to remove the front struts at the upper mount location. My solution was to fabricate a 1/2” thick nut plate with studs. It gets held in place with 1/4” pan head bolts from the outside.
I can see the need to replace the bearings at each end of the QA1s occasionally so making the removal/install a one man job was important. If I was to do it again I would only use one 1/4” fastener per nut plate.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited: