Kinsler Throttle Body diameter recomendations

Hi Dave -

58mm / 2.25" on a 347. Worked well on previous 302 too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 56373-kinsler.JPG
    56373-kinsler.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 323

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
David,

The standard RF injection system is 45mm. This will flow up to about 470 - 480 HP before the mixtures get a lot rich (not enough air for the fuel delivered). This car runs well everywhere else and is almost civil for road use.

50mm. / 52mm. (read 2") would take you up another almost 25% in power so let us say just over 600 HP.

The problem comes in at the low throttle positions ie. at tick over and just pottering about. The change in throttle angle will give much more air and therefore need much more fuel and will therefore increase revs etc. A snail throttle set up would improve this as it would change the throttle pedle motion ratio with the butterfly ratio.

I supose the main thing that MUST be considered is 'what am I going to do with the car' and this must be answered HONESTLY. We can all wish that we are going to run the tracks all the time but time is so difficult to get these days.

I have a very good friend of mine that has a GREAT car we built for him. He has a collection of real quick cars and a Suburu in particular that he has tuned and tuned to very large numbers and it is now somewhere between "a hangrinade and unreliable' and I am sure he would agree with this over simplistic summery of the car. As I have said many times before, there is nothing more frustrating than stalling a car because of an engine problem, in this case due to over the top HP for road use.

We all "need" more HP, even my son wanted more power in his go-kart when he raced, but contrary to some people there is a point where too much IS too much.

Best wishes,

Robert

Dave,

It all depends on CI and max RPM the motor will spin. The best source for size is Kinsler themselves. I told them I was running a 401 CI that will spin 8000 RPM. They suggested using a 2.5 In Throttle Bodies. So that’s what I got.

[ QUOTE ]
I told them I was running a 401 CI that will spin 8000 RPM. They suggested using a 2.5 In Throttle Bodies. So that’s what I got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's something I'd like to see / hear! and may do soon as a GTD gets fitted with a stroked 351 (408) very soon. (no - not Roy)

Cheers lads I have been having a exchange with Kinsler and they came back with a suggestion earlier today. 2 or 2.187" was the initial thoughts.

Are any of you injection guy's running sequential on SBF? how are you triggering the hall sensor to control phasing?

Hi Dave

We run sequential using Motec M48Pro - We have a modified distributor to provide cam phase for sequential operation and use 8-coils for ignition (not wasted spark).

I have also previously modified the bottom pulley on SBF to provide signals to Motec via a hall effect pickup - Interestingly it gives absolutely ZERO ERRORS in comparison to the Magnetic sensors we use on the MSD on Roy's car, which will occasionally give errors, probably due to the large variation in signal amplitude. I have spoken to several engine builders/dyno operators and they say they never fully get rid of the errors using mag inputs.. although motors run fine.

I wrote an article in previous club magazine detailing just how to do this, and set it all up (DIY TRIGGERS - Winter 2004) if it helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(ps - I believe there is a part from Ford (Ford Explorer??) that replaces the dizzy and provides both ref and sync from one unit although others would have to confirm that it will fit your designated block)

Modified Dizzy

Attachments

• 56490-dizzy.JPG
    56490-dizzy.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 299

Ron Earp

Admin
That was a nice article Paul, very well done. You are correct, the Ford Explorer was the last US car/truck to use the 5.0L motor and had this ignition system. I can't remember the years but something like the late model 199X are the ones you can get this from, I'm sure someone knows exact details.
R

Paul,

Could you forward a copy of the article via email to me? I planed on running the MSD four magnet crank pickup. Maybe I should do the same as you did.

Hi Richard

no problem, I'll contact you by PM to determine best format and thankyou for your interest. Once you get that beast of a motor running you must post some pics / video.

Many contributors give good technical write-ups for the club mag and we welcome ALL persons to the club. Owners of ANY marque, builders, wishers (like me), anyone with an interest in GT40s alike....

Snapshot of article.

Attachments

• 56516-Trigshots.JPG
    56516-Trigshots.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 329
[ QUOTE ]
Paul,

Could you forward a copy of the article via email to me? I planed on running the MSD four magnet crank pickup. Maybe I should do the same as you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard - you have email. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back