kit purchase questions

Ok, I'm new to this site and would like a little input from people. I am planning on purchasing a 40kit, probable roller.

I am leaning towards a Tornado kit at the present time. I like the prices on the cars, parts etc. I also have had a pretty favorable impression of Andy, so far.

Are all of these customs nightmares true?? This kind of worries me a little. Don't know if I would want to go through hell to get a kit car into the USA and then to Tennessee.

Any kit companies in the good old USA that will sell in roller for/stage form that will allow me to do this as I go kind of pace, budget.

Thanks in advance for anybody out there that can assist me in this little quest I am taking on!!

If you want to make it easier on yourself, also check out other Manufacturers who have dealers in the US.

I would recommend talking to Hershal Byrd, he is the US distributor for Roaring Forties. He can tell you about the car, and I am sure he will give you some insights on importing the kits, even if they are from other manufacturers.

If you really want to start with an incomplete kit, get somebody who ships stuff to the US often where you can just rent some space in a container for example.

I am building a US made Cobra replica over here in Austria and shipping is KILLING me! I have spend over 2k so far And thats only for smaller stuff. My chassis and body etc was another 2.5k!!!!

You might want to click on the section at the top of the screen next to the GT40s.com logo(mine is blue) and read the article on buying a used or unfinished kit. The info is still good for what you want. There are several guys around you that are building different makes of the GT40. Ky. N.C. S.C. Ga. etc. Plan to visit a couple of the reps here in the U.S. to see thier product in person. There are subtle differences in the various makes(footroom width and head room come to mind).
Bill

James

The Tornado is a nice kit. Why more are not imported
into the US is a mystery to me. Apparently Andy has enough
business in the UK that he doesn't feel the need to be
more aggressive in the US. They did have a US dealer at
one time, which did not work out (long story).

If you are 6 feet or more, you'd better sit in a Tornado
before ordering. There are a few in the US...Dan White
in Iowa may still have one.

Regarding customs, I purchased parts from Andy and had no problems. I think it's a matter of dealing with knowledgable
people.

Regarding costs, the Tornado is a very good value, although
the recent exchange changes have made it less so.
And yes...if you intend to build your kit in stages,
add another 10 % for extra shipping/import costs,
depending upon how many shipments you make.

RF has a great US dealer in Hersh, and sells in stages. GT40 NZ and GT40 Australia also sell partials, but
don't have US reps...but they do have some satisfied
US customers you can speak to. The South African
clan don't offer kits, and neither does ERA.
Best of luck.

MikeD

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's a bit of advice. No matter what kind of kit you buy have a extra windscreen shipped with it and put it away in a safe place for later. Getting a new windshield here in the USA can be very costly. Shipping a windshield from England can cost twice what the glass costs.

My recomendation is to buy a kit that is already here in the USA. I think Hershel has a RF here for sale. Another possiblity would be to buy a car that is complete and registered here then redo it your way. This can cut a couple of years off your construction time. There is also a good chance it won't cost you anymore money than doing it yourself. Many cars that are sold by private parties builders discount their labor and sort of sell them for the sum of the parts cost.

When you consider the shipping/import/registration issue along with the waiting time to get one a patient search here in the USA should at least be considered.

Of course if you really want to build one yourself, I did, then you might be able to find a partially completed one here in the USA.

By the way mine took 4 years and I am just finishing it up with about 2 months to go.

jkyte, If you have a chance to get to the Atlanta area I have a completed CAV and Bill lives about 10 miles from me with his DRB under construction. I'll give you a ride in mine and I am sure that Bill will give you a tour of his build which is coming along great. E-mail me if it is possable so we can both be available at the same time you get here. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I imported my kit from Australia and had no trouble at all. It truly depends on who you have do the importation for you. The company I dealt with basically asked for a "power of attorney" specifically stating for importation of my kit. From that point on, I only had to tell them when and where to have it delivered and send them $$$ (the government really takes a bit out of you for this).

they even contracted the truck (had to find a special short tail to meet the requirements) for residential delivery of the shipping container to my door and the special permit for the truck.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
James,

Firstly welcome to the forum. I hope it guides you to the answers you are looking for and that you make many good friends while you visit.

Hershal has a "quick build" kit ariving in Pheonix within the next few days (truckies permiting). I am sure he would be happy to show you the kit and discuss your requirements.

At Roaring Forties we have made a very conscience decission to have an arm in the US to help sell our cars. The problem with dealing with people so far away as the UK or Australia can be daunting. I have tried to reduce this worry with an agent in the different countries and this has worked. We also are very involved with forum and have been since the idea first came about and again this was done to show support for our customers / friends.

Roaring Forties now have over 20 cars in the USA and have built over 100 cars / kits in under 7 years. I have a staff of 12 all full time and all working on GT40's. We are constantly building the cars and therefore have the staff to help with ANY problem because we are doing the same job on one of our cars at that time also. We have worked out ALL the bugs.

Please contact Hershal as I am sure he will help with any questions you might have.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back