Land Speed Racing Record

I finally got my GT40 down to Laurinburg NC for some aerodynamic testing. The East Coast Timing Association ( http://ecta-lsr.com ) holds a land speed racing event over a 1 mile course. The sanctioning body (actually the insurance company) will only let non-caged cars go 150mph plus maybe 10mph so I was limited to 150mph +10.

The race director informed me that I could grab a Land Speed Record in the Blown Gas Super Street class IF I could go 156mph. :) I'll do my best to hold her back.

Your first pass you're held to about 125mph to get the feel of the track and so the officials can get a feel for your abilities. On the second pass I was doing 150 and eased her up to 160 but as I went through the timing traps I was doing closer to 165-170 by my speedo. Argh, they're going to throw me out.

I pulled up to impound to get my wrist slapped and no one seemed to mind I clocked over 162. Actually the PA system failed so they never announced my time or folks would have had a fit. At that point I was 7 mph faster than the standing record so I actually set a new record. Not bad for the Beast's competition debut.

With the outstanding performance and aerodynamic down-force I had to hire an extra trailer just to bring my head back to Virginia.

I have video of the run at http://xtremeclassics.com/x_multi.html The course is a bit bumpy.

And here's some pics at the event http://xtremeclassics.com/x_photo.html about half way down.

Mark

ECTA said if I can mimic the 2005 Ford GT semi-cage that runs there I can run unlimited. I had plenty of power but I am in need of a 6 speed transmission.

Mark

D

DavidTC

Mark
Very interesting BUT as a relative newcomer to the forum I am left wondering , why all the excitement. In the UK there is at least one marque that organises a similar annual speed trap event for road cars and the F40's etc regularly hit 190mph over a similar distance. No need for roll cages just turn up and drive. If you are lucky with the gaps in traffic you can also get up to 180mph + in a mile or so on the German Autobahns and I suspect the regular attendees of the GT40 community at the Nordshliefe will hit pretty high terminal velocities on the Kemmel straight particularly when you don't need to swipe your magnetic card at the barrier if the sessions are private !.(See the F1 is boring thread)
Just interested to know that with the capability of the car the record is so modest.
David

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I am also going to run my GT40 at the flats. I was wondering if you were running the ZF stock gears?
I plan on getting the 6 speed next year but want to run the 5 speed first.

Oliver

DTCPilot,

It's limited due to safet restrictions here - - - read "we have to damn many lawyers in the US" - and the organizers might not be able to insure the event if they don't comply.

Even at "speed week" at the Bonneville Salt flats - we have to go thru intense safety requirements even for the "slower classes" that are working on 100 to 150 mph records for cars/engines/class types.

But, amazinly enought - once you pass the safety hurdles, then speed is of no issue - - we have guys in our group working on records in the 240 mph to 350 mph range all with the same safety requirements!

[ QUOTE ]
Mark
Just interested to know that with the capability of the car the record is so modest.
David

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an insurance thing with the sanctioning body. DO NOT exceed 10 over the 150 without a roll cage. I was only there to do a shake down and test my aerodynamic mods. I too thought the record a bit low and I'm wondering what SCTA (left coast) holds for a gas super street class. I guess it's better to know I hit 150 short of the half mile and had to soft pedal it the rest of the way to not get thrown out. Got all the data I needed plus a 50 cent certificate.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
I am also going to run my GT40 at the flats. I was wondering if you were running the ZF stock gears?
I plan on getting the 6 speed next year but want to run the 5 speed first.

Oliver

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sitting here thinking 150 just short of the half mile I'll bet I can do 200 in the mile with a 6 speed. I wanted to do some low speed testing and the ZF 5 speed with a top end of 174 was a good place to start. There's a ring and pinion change that will get you to about 224 but the 6 speed can get 254 with the right sized rear tires and sufficient HP.

One note on the Flats. I've been told that things rust or corrode almost instantly. Any exposed aluminum needs a new finish. I'm thinking 6 speed and 200 for the measured mile.

SCTA and BSFR will require the same roll cage as ECTA if you want to go faster than 150.

Mark

D

DavidTC

Mark
Thanks for the clarification; I guess it is one of the penalties of living in an ultra litigeous environment; its the equivalent of the MacDonalds hot coffee suit. Even if you are an absolute cretin the US legal system will find a loophole to protect the risk taker from themselves.From your comments it still looks as if your acceleration slips into the 0.6g category. Still quite modest for the car's capability ?.
Regards
David

Mark & Oliver - -
The salt flats are an amazing place - -- but - - the salt will effectively destroy any/all metal in an amazingly short time. If you take your 40's there, be prepared to almost totally dismantle them to get them CLEAN. simply washing the P1$$ out of them will NOT do it! All that the water does (high pressures even worse) is to liquify the salt and then force it into holes you never knew you had! Dismantling is the only way to get it out!

So, if it's a 1 time lark - be prepared for humongous overhead in cleaning!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Mark
From your comments it still looks as if your acceleration slips into the 0.6g category. Still quite modest for the car's capability ?.
Regards
David

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a drag race. I was half pedal in first and a little soft in 2nd to keep it from spinning. Third & forth I nailed it. There was another car there who thought it was a drag race and smoked his clutch on the second run. It's not a drag race.

Mark

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Also note when you install the 6 speed it will add 2" aft and additional 2"of shift linkage will be needed.

Mr techless... oliver

D

DavidTC

Mark
0.6g is 0-60 in about 4.5 secs; that is not drag racing in my book but a lot slower than I would have thought a GT40 can do without smoking anything !.
David

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What tires did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodyear F1

[/ QUOTE ]

Size?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Goodyear F1

[/ QUOTE ]

Size?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sizing was a pain for the Mk1 because no one makes the "right size" tires for it. Right now I have 285-40/ZR17 rear and 225-45/ZR17 front. I can sneak another inch or so in the rear with another inch offset to the inside. I thought I'd have more trouble keeping the rears locked to the pavement but it wasn't bad. I got a little spin when I did a 3rd gear press and it came into the power band. But when winding her up I only got spin in 1st and 2nd.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
Mark
0.6g is 0-60 in about 4.5 secs; that is not drag racing in my book but a lot slower than I would have thought a GT40 can do without smoking anything !.
David

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you're right it's not drag racing. It's a measured mile and you get terminal speed only. I was only there to get aerodynamic data at a constant speed above 150. I have my data and happened to pick up a top speed record in a street class being limited to 160mph. I wasn't there to drag race.

However, I am accepting ZF donations because I think I can "lunch" a ZF within about 30 full-out drag racing runs. Cuz it's not a drag racing transmission.

Mark

Back