Le Mans Classic 2004

If any member from the GT40 enthusiasts club or the GTD40's Club who have not sent me an entry but still wish to attend this event I need your entries by tuesday at the latest.
This is for discounted Entry, Circuit and Paddock Passes and the option to drive the full circuit before the event proper.

Attachments

• 27563-DSCF0108a.JPG
    27563-DSCF0108a.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 267
There was a Mk IV there, in the Paddock, which didn't run. I walked all round it and took a couple of photos which I will post when my son downloads the pics out of his camera.
A great weekend and the circuit lap was excellent. All laps were cut from 2 to 1 because some clown put a Fiat onto its roof in an early session. There is even a rumour that some people went out twice - the organisation was that bad, I wouldn't be surprised!

Coming back yesterday I heard that the Morgan club had managed to get driver and co-driver laps in two different sessions - AND they each had 2 LAPS!!

I want to emphasise that our second event with only 1 lap being honoured is no reflection in anyway on Roy Snook who has done a superb job getting us in at all. The site this time was close to excellent viewing and the tunrout of 30 GT40 replicas was brilliant. Well done Roy.

Re-reading my post above, it could imply that I was criticising Roy's organisation.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Roy did a brilliant job. Pity the ACO couldn't equal it.

It looks to be numbered up as if the organisers accepted its entry and therefore implicitly approved its FIA papers but is not shown as having practised even

If you are so certain, Mk IV J6, would you care to share the reason why this is a replica with the rest of us? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There's only one real red MK-IV (J5) and it's sitting in the Henry Ford Museum. Unlike that one it dosen't have correct Shelby side windows and an incorrect H&M nose.

Can we turn the question around - implicitly this car has FIA papers as a genuine Mk IV - it is obviously not J5 or J6 - is there a logical answer as to which car its papers says it is based on your knowledge of the other cars ?

My understanding of the new FIA rules is that a pure replica can get FIA papers so long as it is period/type correct. This car is Tom Malloy's "J11" built by Brian Angliss in the UK from spare parts on an unstamped J car tub and is Vintage Raced all over the world. (Which is a fine thing as it's unlikely an original MK-IV will ever run in anger, in the immediate future, if ever, again.) I was told that it did run at the Le Mans Classic but suffered oil PSI failure and engine damage on it's first practice lap which is a shame as it's wicked fast.
JWHAT also has a MK-IV replica that he Vintage races and is hoping to get FIA papers for. I believe it's also red.

Thanks clarification - so can I confirm I have understood this correctly : any Mk IV should now be able to get FIA papers provided its painted red !

J-11 PRESENTED FALSE ?

Hello,

Very interesting thread about one of the several wrongly numbered cars ( replica ) entered into classic races.

Do you know other GT40s in this case entered at Le Mans ?

Best regards

Re: J-11 PRESENTED FALSE ?

I have pictures of the J11 when she was completed. I saw the car at Farnborough after being painted. And sold though Duncan Hamilton at Bagshot. J12 was Rod Leachs White MKIV. At the time of building they still had not sorted the sequence of chassis numbers. Both cars were being called J12. All MkIV seem to land up with red paint.AJ Foyt was given the Bruce Mclaren Yellow MkIV J5 by Ford. It was painted red as the Lemans winner. Correct me if I am wrong but the way to tell the Lemans winner is by the bottom being Squared off instead of rounded?
Regards Allan

Re: J-11 PRESENTED FALSE ?

All of the LeMans MK-IV's have squared off sills. J6 painted as J5 by Ford was given to AJ. J5 the Le Mans winner, even thought it's missing it's chassis plate, original engine, original steering wheel, and original radiator is descernable by several things including glassed in rope along the forward edge of it's tail, crushed tub under it's driver's seat, a cut through "Gurney Bubble", and it's orange pit id light.
Regards

Back