Left or right treads on the spinner

Rune

Supporter
Hi Can someone explain why I should have left treads on the rigth side and right treads on the left side. Someone told me it must be oposite:rolleyes:. And now I am not sure what is right.

Rune

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Spinners lock by tightening ears towards the rear, on both sides, thus the spinners being locked in place by the rotation of the wheels

morten

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Whacking the spinners ears on the top-side toward the rear is the correct orientation.
IE - right hand threads (clockwise) on the left side of the car and left hand threads (counter/anti clockwise) on the right side of the car.

I agree like others members posting that right hand theads are to be on left side ..( This is the usual way to ...)
These are some details that may help on this subject ;
On racing cars ;In order to fit " quickly" rims into hubs you need some little clearance on pegs as any way the wheel is auto centered when tightening the tapered spinners or nuts ..... At every braking during a very, very,very short period of time there is an distorsion in beetween the hubb turning clokwise and the wheel due to the external weight of rim plus tyre thaat is tending to turn clock wise slower than the hubb ( Cinetic contre effet)
So due to that little clearance on pegs ... slowly beside the tapered part wheel tend to "unlock " ( specially on right side) the spinner or the nut
If theads are inverted this helps to maintain the torque given when fitting the wheel

If you want to check this effect ; Just take your Drill fit diferent diameters of Hex bolts and do not tighten too much the mandrill , give a quick on/ off and you will notice that when doing the" off "the mandrill is opening , the bolt going apart , doing so with another big bolt this will happen quickly :p

Ok Now I can say also that on the various Le mans team car builders I had oportunity to work this question have been developed very very frequently when time was on to draw new hubbs ,and I can tell that either doing same threads ( right) on 4 corners or inverting the way to fit corners with dissimilar threads was not a big change until you tighten poperly the nut or the spinner to the proper torque and using WD40 or copper grease on tapered and threads area. :rolleyes:

Back