Limited Production - Limited Dealers

Hello! I am not going to fake knowledge about this car. If we could talk Cobra's - We would have a good conversation. Yet, I do know this much seeing I work for a Ford Dealer in America.

We are not trying for a mass production vehicle. Ford is working a new strategy into the market it seems for some of their historical cars - this is based on the success (somewhat) of the Thunderbird, the MysticCobra and other limited production Fords. It is to give the true enthu's an investment.

In America, limited dealers will be entrusted with these. We are getting one! I am talking with the management to see how to properly advertise this fact, because I don't believe I have a buyer for this car within 300 miles, or maybe notever 3000 miles. It is an elite car - for an elite owner - Not mom and pop. So, I hear the number for America is 1500 cars made.

Atleast the car will hold it's value that way.

MJ Saurondon
Duval Ford
Jacksonville, Florida

I have a number in my head, Jim, but I'm not going to show my cards until we hear back from Mr. Saurondon. You have to give him credit for coming to a good place to help him ascertain the value of the car, even if we may not agree with him on the concept of buying a car as an "investment."

I doubt any dealer who gets a GT will have trouble moving it. The problem they'll have is dealing with the irate
buyers who lost out to someone else who paid more than MSRP,
and the bad press that will create.

Maybe the fairest way for dealers with (1) car is to advertise they will sell the car at MSRP and do a random drawing of all who put in deposit. Sadly, my name will not be in the jar...unless someone gives me $ 150k.

MikeD

Does anyone in U.K or U.S have info on dealer allocation for/within the U.K? There has been talk of lottery type allocations,number of deposit's taken allocations;anybody got the facts?

Jools: I recently read the UK will get a limited number of cars, it might be 25 or so. I will try to find the article I saw it in.

I believe the Ford GT will start out like the Viper did in 92. Certainly many people will be coming out of the woodwork to buy this thing at a premium. As Ford plans to build 4500 to 5000 or so, the demand will certainly drop as the novelty wears out. I think by 2006 model year, one should be able to get one without a problem.

I feel many people who are willing to drop $150K on a car don't do so for the car itself, but also for the image and name of the car. These people will be buying Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, etc. I keep seeing people write on the other boards, "150K for a Ford???" I really hope this thinking prevails so I have the chance to buy one in the future. This car seems better engineered than almost anything out there.

Jools,
Last October I was speaking to the FoB Managing Director at one of our days at Dunton. We talked about the new GT, he said that he was speaking personally to interested buyers. I would assume that they have got their quota assigned already... but I have heard rumors that they are contemplating sending more to Europe, as they have got them all pre-sold.

Brett

I would be happy to pay £90K, but no more. There are too many very attractive alternatives on the horizon. Also, for the U.K it is left hand drive only.

And I'm in love with the Pagani Zonda!

J.P

One difference between the Viper and the GT (besides
the price and heritage) is that Ford has announced ahead
of time they will only make these for (3) years and thats
it. The Viper was rolled out with no such restriction,
and they sell a few thousand every year for the past 10 years. Not sure there is an end for the Viper as is the GT.

Another "potential" issue is that there may be a LOT of wealthy Ford dealership owners who may decide to keep the
car themselves, even if just for a few years. So the 1st
year production of 1500 cars looks pretty slim to me.
I wouldn't be surprised to see all 1500 presold.

MikeD

I seem to remember a certain old Ford rival announcing that they would only produce strictly limited numbers of the F40.. only to have a change of heart when the sheer number of customers became apparent. If the GT lives up to it's spec/reviews,and with the tried and tested parts it uses, who know's what may happen.

Ford has no idea what they have got. This is not a Mustang. Look how they destroyed the market for their new Thunderbird. There is not a market for 3000 Ford GT's over a 3 year period. As he dealership the best thing you can do is to get a buyer for the car and have an agreement with the buyer to sell it for list price but to keep it on your showroom floor for 3 months to gain floor traffic and then let the car go on it's way. Look at all the dealers that charged over list price on the new T-Bird. Now the dealers can't give them away. The new Ford GT is a nice car but there is not much of a volume market for it. Yes, a lot of people want one but very few people can really afford to buy one.

Jim Seisser

Do you know where you can buy/order the GT?
I am a serious buyer and will get one if I can find it.
thanks to let me know.

Okay, Ford came back to us yesterday and asked us what we wanted. They have given us an allotment of what appears to be two. My inventory manager is right now entering the orders in to the system. It sounds like one of the cars will go to corporate (our mother company). As a Ford dealer, we have been around since 1916. We are the oldest in this area of Florida. The other car will be for sale. I am hoping to get a meeting of the mentally challenged this week to see how they want to handle the sale of this car.

Some of the ideas you all have posted I like. Especially the one about keeping it in the show room for a few months. Yet, a car like this, I don't know if I want it on my showroom floor. (Scene's from Gone in 60 seconds are running through my mind).

I would love for the car to stay in the states. Yet, I have a feeling it may not.

As for price - I don't know yet. Waiting to see the inventory build reply and find out what management wants to do.

MJ Saurondon
Duval Ford

For anyone in Europe thinking they can buy and bring across, I was informed this week that changes are having to be made for homologation for the European allotment.

Brett

[ QUOTE ]
MJ Saurondon
Duval Ford

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm torn on paying cash or financing if a great fnancing option is offered. Do you know if Ford will offer special financing?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The only thing that seems guaranteed here is that at the end of the first day, (or sooner) someone will be angry about all this. What a surprise...
Ferrari has a two year backlog, or so I hear, for 360 Modena Spyders. I don't know what the backlog is for the hot Porsche Turbo. Everything else in this performance class is essentially a bespoke car, or made in such small quantities that it might as well be. If there is a two year backlog for Ferraris, which are made in fairly liberal quantities, there's likely to be at least a year or two of demand for the Ford GT, especially if the bugs are worked ut when it comes to market and they don't have a bunch of embarrassing recalls.
I'm not a fan of this car, and I am not a fan of FoMoCo either, but I think they will have a hit on their hands. I suspect the demand curve will start high, and stay that way for a significant time, which in turn means a lot of attention, a lot of press- and a lot of annoyed people, for one reason and another.
But don't get me wrong- I do hope to see one. And here's where- shrinking in the rearview mirror of my GT40, which will have nearly as much power, and weigh a thousand pounds less... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't understand this car or Ford's marketing strategy. If this is a halo car to get me into the showroom to by an F150, then every dealer needs one in the showroom most of the time. There won't be anywhere near enough cars for this purpose. I don't think Ford can make money producing 1500 cars. So what is the GT all about?

BTW, I have a 1990 ZR-1 Corvette. People paid over list for them 14 years ago. Now cherries sell for peanuts on eBay.

The GT is for the "halo effect". It doesn't need to be in every showroom to achieve this, just in press where it will dominate everything in its price class (or more). That's all Ford needs.

Back