...thread coming soon

Attachments

• chassis11.jpg
    chassis11.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4,847
  • chassis22.jpg
    chassis22.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 4,805
Well done Marcus. Soon it will be starting to look like this..

Darren

Attachments

• dscf0065a.jpg
    dscf0065a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 4,406

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Darren,

I know a pal of mine uses purple rivets on his Lola but are they standard fare in the UK too??

I had better assemble my original type 3b tub too , as its been collecting dust for a few years now.....

Guys,

thanks a lot for your encouragement.

@ Fran: You know I owe you a fair amount of gratitude...

One thing I´ve come to learn is that for a project like this, the journey is the reward. One has to see the build process as a passion in its own right. Same applies to sourcing or faithfully replicating original parts. I´m sure you all know how satisfying it is to find a long sought after part.

@ Darren: Very interesting pic. I´m building up the chassis beginning with the floor panel whereas your pic suggests that the floor panel is to be fixed last.

Best,

Marcus

Darren,

I know a pal of mine uses purple rivets on his Lola but are they standard fare in the UK too??

Hi Fran. Yes they are standard fare here in the UK too. The different colours denote material and strength for aircraft specs. The purple ones are , I think, Monel. Colours codes used worldwide as far as I know.

Marcus. Yep the floor goes on last on the continuation cars. Engine mounts and rear susp towers in the jig first, then tied in with tub sides, then front top beam and front panel, dash support, outside skins on tubs then turn it all over and do the floor... something along those lines anyway. I'll post some more pics if you like.

Darren

Marcus,

Are you working from a detailed set of plans/blueprints?

Do you plan on using both blind and bucked rivets in your chassis?

Will you be using any structural epoxy along with the rivets, or will the chassis be mechanically fastened together only?

Do you plan on using any conversion coatings?

I have aircraft structural sheet metal repair/modification experience. I trained under an elderly aircraft mechanic who built Consolidated B-24 Liberators at the Willow Run plant in WWII. He could build anything out of his head with no plans, just give him a sheet of 2024 and watch him go!

Also if you need to locate a difficult to find item, please don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to oblige.

I look foward to watching your car come alive.

Best regards,
Scott

Scott,

many thanks for your kind offering. I´m using many pics, some basic measurements, and a comprehensive folder of shop notes containing drawings and sketches etc.

As far as I can see there´ll be hardly any blind rivets to be used. Maybe for the battery tray or for the fixture of the rad housing.

Two friends of mine (engineers at a well known Stuttgart car company)
already identified the highly stressed components of the chassis and so there only bucked rivets will be used together with doublers. In addition to that the chassis will be glued together with epoxy.

Best,

Marcus

Attachments

• UpperBulkhead1.jpg
    UpperBulkhead1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,547
Marcus,

That looks like nice work. I know you will have alot of fun building it.

May I suggest that you purchase a copy of the "AC 43.13". It is a manual containing FAA approved data, concerning basic aircraft maintenance.

Chapter 4 is an excellent resource on all things sheet metal and riveting.

It can be purchased at any good book store or online. Just google AC 43.13 . I guarantee you will find it very useful.

Looking forward to more pictures!

Cheers,
Scott

Steve, Scott,

many thanks for your infos.

Maybe, with all the knowledge gained through building the tub, I might start building my own Messerschmitt one day...

...just kidding.

Best,

Marcus

The project I was working on before my GT was a Midget Mustang all aluminum kit plane. The airframe is done and waiting for an engine and finishing. I will finish the GT first. The plane has one seat the GT has two so guess which one is higher on the wifes list? I have used all the same tools from my plane build to make my car, air drills rivet squeeze grinders clecos ect... I would love to build a FW 190 someday with a PW R985! That would be a fun plane to play with.

Steve

Back