LOLA T70 scratch build...

Thanks Johan!
Though being right in the middle of preparing ...my own... wedding I sent a mail.
(Please, don´t you ever tell her that while she is hassling around getting the whole house ready
I´m sitting in a silent corner chasing after Lola parts,...)

Best,

Marcus

Front lower A-arm pickups, to be positioned on knee hump:

Attachments

• A-Arm_Pickup2.jpg
    A-Arm_Pickup2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,113
Chassis build is progressing rather slowly at the moment as my wife and I have to look after my father from time to time who is suffering serious cardiac problems and underwent surgery (bypasses) recently.

Nonetheless, I managed to do some work on the radiator housing and here are the freshly fabricated panels, still need to flare the holes:

Attachments

• Radhousing1.jpg
    Radhousing1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,749
  • Radhousing2_Topduct.jpg
    Radhousing2_Topduct.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,703
  • Radhousing3_Brakecoolingduct.jpg
    Radhousing3_Brakecoolingduct.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,684
  • Radhousing4.jpg
    Radhousing4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,705
  • Radhousing5.jpg
    Radhousing5.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Radhousing6.jpg
    Radhousing6.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,669
Sooo...after having treated myself to some thorough lessons in riveting by professional metal aircraft builder Mathias Lenz (www.lenzair.de) we started assembling the radiator housing.

It took us much longer than expected, we had to spend two full days. Here is the outcome:

Attachments

• Radhousing_assembly_1.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,704
  • Radhousing_assembly_2.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,631
  • Radhousing_assembly_3.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,677
  • Radhousing_assembly_4.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Radhousing_assembly_5.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_5.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Radhousing_assembly_6.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,596
  • Radhousing_assembly_7.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_7.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,881
  • Radhousing_assembly_8.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_8.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Radhousing_assembly_9.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_9.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Radhousing_assembly_10.jpg
    Radhousing_assembly_10.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,608
Thanks Bill...think I´m blushing.
To be honest, from time to time I do require some help,
particularly when it comes to riveting in hidden corners.

But your wish shall be my command...more pics asap.

Best,

Marcus

Nice work Marcus my project is on hold until the tubing bender and notcher arrives. I may pay a visit to the local aircraft supply and buy some clecos and by looking at your work 25 is not enough, looks like I will start off with 50. I hope mine turns out as well as yours. Looks like I may get a press and flaring dies also. The rear mold is done as of today so now I can save a bit of cash and start building.
Dave

Dave,

it´s the same with me...having to stop the work when finding that there is no further go without the one or other specific tool,

One thing I quickly came to realise is that you can NEVER have enough clecos, be it 2,4 mm for pre-drilled rivet holes of 3,2 mm for finally-drilled holes. IMHO a starter package of 50 each is a good idea.

BTW, I´m watching your build thread with a lot of interest, too.

Best,

Marcus

There is an important question for which I´d like to ask for your knowledge, all you aircraft professionals, master riveters and Lola tub magicians out there:

When you get to certain areas which are hard to access even for your buddy holding the bucking bar, wouldn´t it be a good alternative to use cherry lock rivets? Any advice highly appreciated.
To my knowledge they can carry at least the same loads as normal rivets and they can be fixed by one man alone. Lola seemed to have used cherry lock rivets in certain areas, see below pics of SL 76/147´s original chassis:

Attachments

• SL76_147rad.jpg
    SL76_147rad.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,362
  • SL76_147seatpan.jpg
    SL76_147seatpan.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,352
Hi Marcus,

For your intended usage. you can certainly use Cherry rivets.

Make sure you use a cherry depth gauge so you don't waste rivets.

Last time I checked they were better than $2.00 a shot, although I must admit I don't pay attention to their costs, as we have drawer upon drawer full of them in the hangar!

From the pictures you have posted (resolution/close-up of the Lola) it is difficult for me to identify the type of pull rivet they really are.

On a separate note, I am concerned with the curved angle you have made in what looks to me as your radiator inlet. A more appropriate way, would have been to use a "shrinker/stretcher" to put the curve in that piece of angle. All those holes so close together have removed quite a bit of strength and may cause cracking between holes/angle itself.

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Scott

Last edited:
On a separate note, I am concerned with the curved angle you have made in what looks to me as your radiator inlet. A more appropriate way, would have been to use a "shrinker/stretcher" to put the curve in that piece of angle. All those holes so close together have removed quite a bit of strength and may cause cracking between holes/angle itself.

What I think I am seeing there are holes that were placed at the ends of the cuts to essentially "stop drill" the end of each cut and allow him to form the bend with a flange. While that will work for a low stressed area, a "shrinker/stretcher" would be more appropriate if the stress is higher.

Manny, Scott,

many thanks for your input.

Since the top cover panel just serves as an airduct we chose
the number and position of rivets under the assumption of the panel being a low stressed area.

Best,

Marcus

Back