LS/Graziano Engine oil Cooler Setup

I see some guys have used this oil cooler adapter: Lingenfelter GM LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7 Oil Cooler Adapter Kit - Lingenfelter Performance along with a remote thermostat like this one: Remote Oil Thermostat - -10AN Mocal Remote Oil Thermostat to run oil lines from the engine to an oil cooler like this one: Setrab Oil Cooler 50-625-7612

However, the SLC's engine mounting bracket for the LS/Graziano seems very close to the mounting location where the adapter would go. Does anyone know if the above Lingenfelter adapter will fit in this area? Or even better, how about the combined Mocal adapter/thermostat? Remote Oil Thermostat - Mocal Thermostat for GM LS Engines

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to be out of luck for using the ports above the oil filter. There is only about 1/2" of clearance to the motor mount.

It looks like my only options are:

a) Leave the ports above the oil filter capped as is and tap into the dry sump oil tank lines for the oil cooler or;

b) Modify the motor mount so the bracket is further back

Further to the above, I tried swapping the center motor mount brackets from one side to the other. Amazingly, this actually worked - they are symmetric.

It looks like this has two benefits:

1) Eliminate the spacer and the torsional load it would apply to the bracket
2) Provide a lot more space by the oil filter, which might be enough for an adapter that would allow the oil cooler to be plumbed off it. This would be really handy, as the preferred cooler location would be by the scoop on the left side of the car and the oil filter is also on the left side of the engine.

Am I missing something here? Why doesn't the factory ship it this way? I must be doing something wrong . . .

Attachments

• DSC05301.jpg
    DSC05301.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC05291.jpg
    DSC05291.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 414
No Dave, you are not doing anything wrong at all
There is a lot of thought goes into all the parts we design and supply...we don't just pull them off the shelf at the local truck mart...
Our universal brackets get flipped left to right regularly depending upon engine and transaxle package being used...
Obviously one of my guys decided to mount them in that orientation...you had the first LS7/Graz. package so it may not have occurred to him to do it the way we normally do , I am sure they were concerned about clearance too , call up my shop and give the guys hell for it....wink.

I know I will tomorrow when I see them and I will say its from Dave Forster,

Last edited:
I ended up doing mine that way too and it worked out much better as well. I had to build my whole x-member in the very back for clearance on the graziano which ended up working out very nice for my needs, keep us posted on your work as I have been sidelined for a bit.....m

Mahlon,
the mods to your chassis were due to it being a G50 chassis and not an Graz. ALL SLC chassis are now made to accommodate ALL of the transaxles where the crossmember is concerned...with no modifications needed...

I thought all of the early chassis where done like mine, and the newer ones have a billit x-member welded in that clears all of the transaxle options.....m

Yes indeed, we did not have the need to have the lower profile rear crossmember until the Graziano transaxle became an option.

Your chassis was original built for a guy that wanted to run a Porsche trans and was already shipped to him/you before the Graziano transaxle came online,

Isn't picture 1 the proper way to do it?? I'm confused.

Alex – If you are confused, imagine my confusion....read on.

No Dave, you are not doing anything wrong at all
There is a lot of thought goes into all the parts we design and supply...we don't just pull them off the shelf at the local truck mart...
Our universal brackets get flipped left to right regularly depending upon engine and transaxle package being used...
Obviously one of my guys decided to mount them in that orientation...you had the first LS7/Graz. package so it may not have occurred to him to do it the way we normally do , I am sure they were concerned about clearance too , call up my shop and give the guys hell for it....wink.

I know I will tomorrow when I see them and I will say its from Dave Forster,

Fran – My car was delivered with the motor mounts in the same configuration as Dave's (pic. #2) and I raised this very question back in November! At that time you stated that the motor mounts were installed properly and stated that the mount brackets should NOT be swapped from side to side. Now you are reversing your position and suggesting that Dave gives “your guys hell”.

Which is it; were you correct the first time or are you correct now? :huh:

Jim

Back