LS1 to Audi 01E Adapter COMPLETE!

Hi Andy and Doug,

I have been doing something similar too. Do you know of a smaller diameter ring gear to fit on this stuff somehow so I can lower the engine and use dry sump oiling?

You mean for the 1UZ engine or something else?
I doubt I could mount the starter in the right place for the gearbox I'm using due to the shape of the engine so if you can get the starter mounted closer to the crank then the ring gear will be the easy bit, either mounted on the flywheel or doing a similar idea with the flex plate type of thing.

I am thinking of the Chevy LS series engines, but my admittedly hair-brained idea would be the same for others. My concern is that even with dry-sump oiling the starter ring gear limits how low the engine can be mounted.
If a flex plate from a completely different engine could be mated to a button flywheel made for my engine, then I could end up with a smaller diameter assembly. I have made my own starter motor mounts before, but not for moving it toward the center of a smaller diameter. The major restraint on that would be clearance between the starter and the engine. Or, it could be mounted at the top of the bell housing facing back over the transmission like an old Bugatti. Of course, the starter would have to be strong enough to turn a V8, so that would eliminate a lot of flywheel/starter combinations.
I did say it was a bit hair-brained didn't I?

Keith

Most of the Porsche boxes have the starter mounted from the transaxle side. The Audi does not have the starter mounted that way so most of the adapter kits have the starter mounted from the engine side. This works OK with most engines but the LS engines have the lower oil pan rails that make it harder to move the starter closer to the center of the crank for a smaller flexplate. I did this with one conversion but it requires using a front sump pan and then modifying the pan to fit the starter. The ring gear I used was a little less than 11 inches in diameter.

Thank you Eric, This will give me some things to think about. I've never worked with Porsche stuff before so I didn't know that. Porsche parts might be a bit pricey but at least I wouldn't have to worry about which direction the starter rotates. Of course I could just stick a push-bar on the back. Real racers don't need no stinkin' starters!

Keith :thumbsup:

Hy there, new here

can someone tell me who to contact to buy this adaptor.

LS series engine to 6 speed 01E audi trans ?

Back