LSx oil system with a dry sump question

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm ready to put a viable block into my project, and will be using a dry-sump oiling system. The question I have is in regards the OEM oil pump. My assumption is that this pump must be removed, and the exit port from the pump, into the block, must be plugged. Is this correct thinking, and if so, is there anything in this step that would prevent oilling of the timing chain? Lastly, there is what is often referred to as a "dog-bone" at the back of the block that appears to be inserted into the oil gallery. Is this something that must remain in place, or removed? The dry-sump pressurized oil will enter the block in the same area as the OEM oil filter (at a threaded port into the gallery just behind and below the oil filter).

standard.jpg

Thanks

I believe a single stage dry sump will use only the LSx internal pump, a two-stage or more will have the internal and an external scavenge pump.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Doc, please correct me if I am wrong, but I donlt think you can have a dry sump system without a scavenge pump. It being essential to transport the used and frothy oil from the sump back into the tank.

Dave

Terry,

no idea on the first point, but a very good question.

With regards to the dog-bone, you need some sort of plug back there or you will pump all the oil straight out the back of the block. Unless you know of some disadvantage to the dog bone design, you should use it.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Tom!

Yes, there are some "dry sump" designs out there which use the stock OEM pump to pull from the tank and push oil back into the block, but this is not that design. I'm using a 4-stage scavanging system, but am concerned that with the OEM pump still churning away, but open on the inlet, and pressurized oil at the outlet, I may; 1) lose a good deal of oil pressure being oil would try to flow in the reverse direction from the pump? Or 2) burn up the pump and perhaps sieze it because it's not flowing oil through it. Still wondering as well, what method is used to lubricate the timing chain on these motors.

Back