"M" Engine Casting Code

Sorry,
Not GT 40 related, but too many experts here that will know the answer. Since SPF 2174 and 2175 are complete, I moved on to another project I had waiting, a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. The car needed some chassis work so I removed the engine to freshen it up a bit. The owner knew the engine was not the original 260, but I think he thought it was a replacement 260. As I was tearing the engine down, something did not make sense with the 302 casting numbers in the valley, checked bore and it was 4.00 not the 3.80 of a 260. I then decided to check the engine casting to see what I had. The casting code is a C8AM. I have decoded this as a 1968 Motor, from the SVO devision!! What does the "M" code really mean?

I believe the engine casting C8AM indicates 1968 Ford, M = Performance Operations SVO Service Parts.

Yes everything I read notes that it came out of the SVO devision. Not sure if this points to nothing more than a late 60's crate motor or is there something special about this block?

This is a Mexico block, Nothing to do with SVO. To ID from outside the C8AM -- is in slightly smaller letter size than USA blocks, there should be two forward facing undrilled stud bosses below # 1 cyl @ front of block, threaded hole for oil pickup stay beside center main & 'Made En Mexico' cast in valley above cam tunnels. Some say they are stronger- metal is different when you bore them-doesnt machine the same.

Last edited:
Knew I should have looked at that spelling more carefully, didnt want to get my hands dirty!!:)

Last edited:
Jimmy Mac has it right!!! Amazing how much info noted that "M" as a SVO code, but it clearly has the Made in Mexico in the valley. Jac Mac knows his stuff! Thanks for all your help!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Agree,
Standard 289 cap on the left. Original 289 HiPo cap on the right.
The Mexico version is similar.

Attachments

• HiPo Mains Cap Comparison.jpg
    HiPo Mains Cap Comparison.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 242
Back