Maintenance

We'll see, but with new battery, new starter, fuel pressure, new cap, new rotor, new coil, and proper grounding, MSD tech believe it is 8595 RTR dist. Reason for determination is:

- static battery - 12.85v
- static positive coil - 12.85v
- static neg coil - 12.85v
- crank battery - 11v
- crank neg coil - 7.42v

test:
- coil wire spark - there but weak
- in line plug spark checker - there but weak
- direct connect battery to positive coil - 12v static; 11 volt crank and no start

Dist sent to MSD for rebuild.

More to follow...thanx for all the help.

427FE SO set at 36 degrees total advance (no vacuum) continues to be a hard starter. So, up'd the ante on the battery. Put in an Odyssey 35-PC1400:

- Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 1400
- Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 900

Still a hard starter, but cranked and started much quicker than with other batteries.

NOTE: This battery is a perfect fit LxW wise, but is a good 1.5" taller depth wise than the battery box. I fabricated a new battery box cover similar to the OEM cover that is 1.5" taller. I also opted to leave the terminals in the open for ease of access (ie, charging, disconnect and connect).

What is your starting advance setting. If you back it down to around 19 degrees at idle, it will start easier unless you have more than 10:1 compression. 36 degrees is about right for full advance. Are you using a spring setup for the advance or mechanical? Some of the MSD distributors come with several spring setups to choose from. The side of the distributor box will give you the advance statistics and the curve for each set.

Bill

Am using MSD factory advance stop [21 degrees (blue)]; have two light silver springs installed in dist getting full centrifugal advance in at 1900 rpm; ran motor up to 3500-4000 rpm and set total advance to 36 degrees; took whatever that left me for idle advance; no vacuum connected in my current setup so no vacuum advance.

Back