Martin Superlite APEX

I was curious so I went back and looked as I know the information on the original thread is no longer up to date.

My Kit comes with the "rear deck window" which is good because I definitely want to be able to see the engine from outside the car...my kit does not mention a bulkhead and so I don't know if it comes with it or not. But based on the fact that this was designed to be a kit for a first time builder and not a lot of fabrication required...it seems that this required piece should come with it (most people don't have a water jet or the means to create such a piece).

I don't really want a window on the bulkhead but access to the engine seems like a good idea:idea:. Are you just making a one off piece or thinking about offering the bulkhead for sale? or is this being designed for the kit? sorry so many questions

Our APEX did not come with a rear window.

We will be making our rear bulkhead because we were not aware of one being offered as part of the kit. As far as I know the kits do not include it. I am sure that we can offer them to the APEX community if there is an interest. We can make them with a window opening or without. Due to its size it may be a little pricey. We will wait an see.

You brought up a good point. It will be up to the builder (experienced or in-experienced) to come up with quite a few pcs and a few solutions. Things such as radiator mounting and the radiator itself, the mounting of the rack and pinion, fuel tank or fuel cell installation, fuel lines and brake lines, suspension, cooling tubes between the engine and radiator, reservoirs, engine oil coolers, shifter and shift cables, e-brake cables, basic wiring, tail lights, headlights, signals, ECU, gauges, the exhaust system and so on. Plus adhering the body panels to the donor along with the associated body work and paint.
There will be some builds that are basic in nature running G50's with a used LS and some that are over the top, with LS7's and Graziano transaxles, 6 piston Brembos, ISIS wiring systems and more. It will be good to see the mix.
The main thing that we need to do is bring more people on board with these builds and not let anyone get frustrated and give up on their builds. These cars are going to be extremely fast and should without a doubt handle very well.

Interested to see some of your progress....it's been about a month since the last update. Any roadblocks encountered? Would be good to try and head off slow areas in the beginning.

We have not had time to post any updates since SLC projects are taking much of our time. The front suspension parts are installed as shown in picture. I am still in the process of sourcing shocks for the front and rear. We are still working on the lower rear shock brackets but we have designed new upper control arm brackets and should have those in place by next week. Brake parts have all been cleaned and painted. We have the motor mounts attached just to see how they look. We have looked at the closing panels for the rear edge of the body and routing of the cooling tubes within the tunnel, probably located low and supported by small cross bars. Underside of tunnel will be insulated with heat shielding provided by Pat Hill At KoolMat in Mooresville, NC. We will continue to post as the build moves along.

apex-rh front control arms.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures showing the motor mounts bolted to the frame just to see how they positioned and the mock-up of the rear suspension. The control arms are just hanging in place as new upper mounts are being fabricated. The plan has it that the rear suspension will be in place by the end of next week. The bracket shown for locating the lower shock is a failed design used by FFR and will not be utilized. It's just one we found still on the shelf and used it to get an idea on how to design one that will function.
We are looking at the design for the cooling tubes that will run through the tunnel, mounted low and supported by a couple of simple cross brackets. The tunnel will be insulated with pads supplied by Pat Hill @ KoolMat in Mooresville, NC. More pictures will be posted as work progresses.
All brake parts have been cleaned and painted as well.

Thanks for the update...you got your hands full with two builds going and with the amount of fabrication going into the build.

We are still working on the lower rear shock brackets but we have designed new upper control arm brackets and should have those in place by next week.

The control arms are just hanging in place as new upper mounts are being fabricated. The plan has it that the rear suspension will be in place by the end of next week. The bracket shown for locating the lower shock is a failed design used by FFR and will not be utilized. It's just one we found still on the shelf and used it to get an idea on how to design one that will function.

Can you clarify, I thought Fran mentioned there were brackets for all the suspension included with the kit. Are you saying you are doing away with Frans bracket (which is same as FFR?? or that was your part) and designing your own?

Also all of the cars that I've seen that use corvette suspension, c5 themselves, resto mods, gtm's etc the brackets where the suspension bolt to the chassis are snug to the control arm bushings...why are they so far apart on the apex? I'm really confused

Spacers will be machined to locate the control arms. Those and thin washers will allow the castor to be adjusted. Shims behind the mounts will be used to adjust camber.

Quick update. The rear upper and lower control arms are installed. Remember, the upper and lower rear bolts for the arm bushings are 12mm and the fronts are 14mm. The casting markes and the dimple have to removed from the ends of the upper a-arms.apex-upper control arm bracket rear.jpg

Quick update. The rear upper and lower control arms are installed. Remember, the upper and lower rear bolts for the arm bushings are 12mm and the fronts are 14mm. The casting markes and the dimple have to removed from the ends of the upper a-arm.

Thanks for the update. How did you approximate the castor to cut the spacer to length? and curious what the process you used to machine the part to size (generally...without getting into detail).

The spacers will have to be adjusted in length and spacing when the suspension is all together. I am not sure what the caster should be or if there should be any on the rear since the wheels do not turn. I'm open to thoughts on this. There will also have to be shims under the brackets to adjust camber.

The spacers will have to be adjusted in length and spacing when the suspension is all together. I am not sure what the caster should be or if there should be any on the rear since the wheels do not turn. I'm open to thoughts on this. There will also have to be shims under the brackets to adjust camber.

Not sure how the apex setup changes the c5 suspension geometry but here are some basic setups for some ideas.

Corvette alignment specs

I am ready to order springs for the APEX. Anyone have some initial values for the spring rate for the car?

This is what I got from RCR over the phone a couple weeks ago. I just ordered the QA1 double adjustable coilovers through them however and I haven't received them so I cannot confirm what they are shipping. Springs seem slightly on the light side but probably safer for street build and I guess depends on the actual weight of this car....which I have no idea.

Ride Height Rear: 17.5"
Ride Height Front: 13"
Spring Front: 500 lb
Spring Rear: 550 lb

Last edited:
Back