MK 2 tub

Hi Guys
The differences between the MK1 and MK11 Tubs?

Well that's a good question, there were three models of the MK11

1. MK11
2. MK11A
3. MK11B

From Ludvigsen "The Inside Story Of The Fastest Fords"
The Mk11 started out as a test experiment in 1964 and was never intended to race. Ford got Kar Kraft to modify a MK1 tub to take the 427 wedge engine weighing in at 550lbs. Roy Lunn head of Kar Kraft new that he first would have to make a new transmission the T44 to take the power of the big block.
To install the big block and trans Kar Kraft had to move the seating position slightly forward with a bulge between the seats for the water pump and modifying the ring bulkhead at the rear of the frame. The car had wider wheels which in turn meant a wider spare wheel, which was accommodated in a completely redesigned front end. The congested front end of the MK1 was redesigned and decongested by extending the nose. A new front end structure carried the diagonal braces farther forward at a gentle slope, enclosing the wider, thicker cross flow radiator with a sheet steel structure which provided built in air scoops for the front brakes. There was room for a large single duct up and away from the radiator, and an oil tank for the dry sump engine in the cowl behind the spare wheel. A new extended nose, with pressure relief vents just ahead of the doors completed the first MK11 Ford.
The rear subframe was changed to accommodate the T44 trans and to support the redesigned rear bodywork.
Side note. This version of the MK11 at the Five mile banked Dearbour proving ground with Ken Miles driving was lapping at 201.5mph and was reaching speeds of 210 mph on the straights. When Miles got out of the car he said that that was the car he wanted for Le Mans 1965.

2 Mk11A had stronger purpose built monocoques from Abbey panels made of steel from 0.024 to 0.049 inch in thickness. They weighed 360 pounds and were exceptionally stiff at 10,000 pounds-feet per degree of twist, corrected to a 100inch wheelbase. It was found after testing in Arizona that a shorter lower nose worked better and gave the car an extra 8 mph on top speed and was also more stable. Ventilated disks brakes at all for wheels and small rear deck scoops for additional rear brake cooling were added. The 12 engines supplied for the Le Mans race had power outputs of around 485bhp at 6300rpm.
In addition to the above a sturdy tubular roll cage was added to the cars for extra safety.

3 MK11B in 1967 Ford realised that it needed more power and a revised "wedge" engine
producing 500bhp at 6400rpm and 470 pounds-feet of torque at 5000rpm. In addition to this a lighter tail section as well as wider and lighter noses were also made. On these separate brake air scoops beside the radiator air inlet were illuminated, the air being drawn instead from the centre inlet. This was extended downwards more than before, with sheet metal "plow" picking up air as close to the ground as possible.
Hope this helps
Regards
Chris.

1965 Mk11

Attachments

• 21878-1965 MKII prototype car at LeMans 1jpg.jpg
    21878-1965 MKII prototype car at LeMans 1jpg.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 468
MK11A getting ready in 1966

Attachments

• 21879-1966LMFORDWORKSHOPMK2s961.jpg
    21879-1966LMFORDWORKSHOPMK2s961.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 394
T44 trans in Jcar cassis

Attachments

• 21880-1966LMFORDGTREARENDWORKSHOP96.jpg
    21880-1966LMFORDGTREARENDWORKSHOP96.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 639
Hi J-What,
see the attached picture of chassis 1012, seen at the auctions at Monterey, seems to have the t44 transaxle but a MK1 undertray/support frame instead of the usual MK2 frame, also the exhaust is not crossover and the rocker covers have been altered to allow the pipes to pass 'through' them!

Attachments

• 21881-DSCF0124a.JPG
    21881-DSCF0124a.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 468
Hi Jim
Sorry I think it is the No1 Red MK1V 1967 Foyt and Gurney car, the LeMans winner.
The photo is from the 1967 LeMans workshop.
Regards
Chris.

Thanks for the info. If I ever decide to build up a MK2 I know who to call. Jim, I believe the car in question is J5 the winner. The big/little rivet pattern makes it either your car or J5. It is definitely a later 3 rivet car and 7 and 8 only had large rivet around the corner capping. Based on the skinny support for the oil cooler ducting I would have to go with J5. Yours is supported differently.
Have to get back to putting the engine in. Going racing.
Bill

Hi Guys
here is a black and white photo of the red No 1 Foyt Gurney car parked next to the Mk11B No 57 blue Shelby car in the same workshop Le Mans 1967. However cars do have wheels so it may have switched places with one of the other MK1V.
Regards
Chris.

Attachments

• 21897-Foyt car .jpg
    21897-Foyt car .jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 776
Hi Guys
sorry to go on but it would appear that for the 1967 Le Mans four new Mk1V cars were built ie. J5,J6,J7,J8 so I am surprised to hear that they had differing chassis construction
Regards
Chris.

Chris, If you would like to know more about J car stuff I will be glad to tell you what I have found. The cars were built together within a short period of time but it seems that each guy with a rivet gun had a slightly different Idea of what pattern to use. In the photos of all the remaining cars you can see the differences. The structure is the same but subtle differences in the layout of the rivets is quite apparent. When we built our car we did a lot of searching a compiled quite a few old and new pics of as many cars as we could. They are different.

Back