MK I Body CAD model

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Is there a good source for CAD models for the MK I’s body parts? I am making a 1/12 scale model, but the kit is a MK II and I want to use my 3D printer to create the body parts for a MK I. I am using the model as a concept prototype for an RCR build. TIA for guidance.

All the ones online seems to be from the same source, since they are all incorrect in the same ways :)
I have atleast yet to find an accurate body model.

Well, at the last classic car show in Birmingham uk , I had the chance to see one of the originals mk3 , had a look at the front body and yes, left front you have 4cm space between tyre and body and the other side.... 6 cm. space, at the rear... same difference left right but less in size.
those cars (even the road version) were hand build... dont forget
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1998.jpeg
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 131
I have a model which is extracted and converted from forza horizon "something".
It is claimed to be based on a 3D scan of an original car but i have not found any info to back this up.
I have had a member in here verify dimensions to his bodywork and seem to be pretty good.
It is best opened in 3dsmax but any cad package will do.

EDIT; Think it is horizon 4

Brian Magee

Supporter
Paul,
The MK3 that was on the club stand at the NEC was the actual car that was in Ford's museum in Swansea. Museum curator, Ken Atwell was given permission to take moulds from it. He then made his own car and so began the birth of the GT40 replica world.
Brian.

Paul,
The MK3 that was on the club stand at the NEC was the actual car that was in Ford's museum in Swansea. Museum curator, Ken Atwell was given permission to take moulds from it. He then made his own car and so began the birth of the GT40 replica world.
Brian.
Yes I know that and I should have actually nr 6 of his early mk3 production if my information that got is correct

Attachments

• 435D8372-E08E-4615-B6D2-EA408C4EC75B.jpeg
    435D8372-E08E-4615-B6D2-EA408C4EC75B.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 127

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I have a model which is extracted and converted from forza horizon "something".
It is claimed to be based on a 3D scan of an original car but i have not found any info to back this up.
I have had a member in here verify dimensions to his bodywork and seem to be pretty good.
It is best opened in 3dsmax but any cad package will do.

EDIT; Think it is horizon 4
Thank you. Can you share as an attachment?

Here is a link (have to register to download)

I have the files on my computer and can forward them in some native format, drop of a pm and i will send by email.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Here is a link (have to register to download)

I have the files on my computer and can forward them in some native format, drop of a pm and i will send by email.
Thx much. I sent you a PM.

4cm space between tire and body and the other side.... 6 cm. space, at the rear...
so a difference of 2cm or 20mm, divide by 12, and that works out at 1.6mm of difference in a scale model.
i'd say at 1/12 scale, you would struggle to notice the inaccuracies.

There is a thread somewhere here that talks about the differences in the KVA and the originals, where it lists all the changes.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
so a difference of 2cm or 20mm, divide by 12, and that works out at 1.6mm of difference in a scale model.
i'd say at 1/12 scale, you would struggle to notice the inaccuracies.

There is a thread somewhere here that talks about the differences in the KVA and the originals, where it lists all the changes.
That is good news for full size builders as well. They can just say that any sloppiness in the alignment and sizing of body panels is an effort to historically correct

Back