Mk I, II, III, IV, and Prototype Spyder!

Couldn't believe the chance to see all of these in one place ! 9 original 40's in total!

Attachments

• DSC_0393 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0393 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC_0395 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0395 (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_0397 (Small).jpg
    DSC_0397 (Small).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC_0401 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0401 (Small).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC_0436 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0436 (Small).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 481
Mike is right. In my excitement I forgot to say where. Other comments in the Worldwide Events Category. Beside the 9 GT40's there were 10 original Cobras including a Daytona Coupe with Pete Brock being interviewed.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
They are all "real." Well kinda... That is Tom Malloy's J11. I think it was built from an unstamped J chassis. Regardless, he does run the pants off it. Can you spot the Safir?

It was interesting to see J5 at the Monterey this year in the Gurney. The old girl doesn't get out often. She even had a custodian that follows her when she travels.

I saw Brent's car this summer. It is the business!

They are all "real." Well kinda... That is Tom Malloy's J11. I think it was built from an unstamped J chassis. Regardless, he does run the pants off it. Can you spot the Safir?

It was interesting to see J5 at the Monterey this year in the Gurney. The old girl doesn't get out often. She even had a custodian that follows her when she travels.

I saw Brent's car this summer. It is the business!

J5 is pretty neat to see but I think it's a shame she no longer is a functioning car.

Tom's car is very cool and he does drive it but an original MK-IV it's not.

Brent's does look to be very well done.

Best

Neal,
My guess is the red MK1 unnumbered is a Safir. I thought the chassis plate said #1089, but Safir's started at #1090? Otherwise the Gulf colored MkI ?

Neal,
My guess is the red MK1 unnumbered is a Safir. I thought the chassis plate said #1089, but Safir's started at #1090? Otherwise the Gulf colored MkI ?

P/1089 is a red Willment-built car, with a white center stripe. The full story appears here:

Willment Cars

1087, 1088 and 1089 don't appear in Spain's or Legate's registries, but I believe they are considered 'real' cars. The last 'real' GT40 is P/1114, which was built long after GT40 production ended, not on a complete existing original mono, but rather a complete mono was built up using genuine Abbey Panels pieces.

Looking at the Willment pictures and the red car at Kirkland it seem to be the same car minus white racing stripes. The paint looked fairly recent. I'm almost certain the chassis plate said #1089, but the numerals were very small. Thanks Mike for getting the word out on this Shelby display. Once in a lifetime opportunity to see all these great cars in one place!

Attachments

• DSC_0409 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0409 (Small).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC_0411 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0411 (Small).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
It was a great turnout. For me the best part was when I started to drive into town I spotted the spider being driven to the show on a street leading to the hotel. Must be how it was at La Mans when a lot to the car drove to the track from whatever garage they were being worked on.

At 11am they fired up all the GT40s and Cobras. What a sound. The MKIV was built from one of the spare tubes back around 1990 if I remember correctly what the owned told me.

The flip top Cobra was there along with the second Cobra made. Like I said lots of eye candy.

Picasa Web Albums - Richard - Kirkland

Keith

Is there a reason that none of the GT's had their chassis numbers displayed (unlike the Cobras)?

And why is a MK II and a MK IV described as a "GT40" on their descriptions at this show?

With all the search for provenance, originality and perfection that gets lavished on these cars, couldn't they start by getting their names right?

Not sure why the chassis numbers weren't on the placards or that the descriptions weren't as accurate as we would have liked. One answer might be that the placards were provided by the show (logo at the top of the card) and not the owners and it wasn't important to the person making them. I'm sure they did it for a consistent look and contained period historical data rather than car specific data. The person making them may not have been as aware of the importance of chassis numbers on the GT's as compared to the Cobra's. IMHO

The red car is P1057 owned by Greg Whitten and restored by Robert Ash. It can be seen at the racingicons website.

Thanks for clarifying the identity of the red car. My eyesight reading fine print isn't what it used to be. Also thanks for referencing racingicons website. Great info and photos on restorations there.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
This event is much more casual that Pebble or other judged events. It was more about a good showing that provenance. It's generated over a million dollars for Seattle Children's Hospital.

Back