Modeling a GT40

Chris Kouba

Supporter
If one were going to make model(s) of the GT40, I presently believe there are only 2 variations of the Mk I and Mk II. Is this accurate?

My recollections are as such:

The classic, original Mk I bodywork, no rear flares, twin nostril nose panel, small driving light, turn signal in lower nacelle:
1038%2Btest%2Bc.jpg

Stacked tail lights:
935cb4ec79962fd4a223371803a02f21.jpg

You can start to see that the vent cover panels aren't necessarily standardized on the rear of the car and on top of the rear clip.

The classic Gulf bodywork, single nostril panel, big lower driving lights:
GT40-Claude-LM-2019-1c.jpg

single tail lights, vents cut out in the corners of the rear clip (above tail lights), 9-hole vent in top of rear clip (hard to see):
GT40-Claude-LM-2019-1a.jpg

No covers in the back panel

Chassis 1015 (1966 bodywork), it does have higher front arches than the Mk I, developed for Daytona, right?:
Ford_GT40_P-1015_Mark_II_1965_Pebble_Beach_Concours_2016_MRT4383.jpg

From the back, stacked tail lights but different than the original Mk I lamps:
7c7a62d08aa0a15cd8566bb5ece9dcdd.jpg

The Mk II's were pretty consistent regarding tail panel treatment, I think. Just variations of the rear vent cover (between the periscopes)- was clear at one point (at Le Mans I believe, because the ACO said they couldn't see well enough out the back). Sound right?

Mk IIB:
The visual difference is the in front of the front wheels and behind the lower nacelle:
sc0509-79222_3.jpg

Compare that pic to the one of 1015 above. The bodywork moved outward and downward to push air around the wheel wells for 1967. Any other differences that a curbside model would need to exhibit to be accurate?

Does this all sound about right?

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I think it was on the Superformance site I saw quite a few pics of the front and rear clams with explanations re. MK1 and MK2 Don't think it went into detail about changes that took place over the years.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Chris,

There at least 6 versions of the MK I from 1964-1969 plus numerous minor changes. The MK II has at least 4 versions starting with the "long nose/tail fin" version at 1965 Lemans to the MK III "B" in 1967.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Yep, I forgot about the '65 funky Mk II's, Rick.

Can you (briefly) elaborate on the variants? I wasn't counting the original 1964 debut bodywork and its evolution to the Daytona winner bodywork. To narrow down what I am looking for- what are the mainstream variants that one thinks of when one envisions a GT40?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Yep, I forgot about the '65 funky Mk II's, Rick.

Can you (briefly) elaborate on the variants? I wasn't counting the original 1964 debut bodywork and its evolution to the Daytona winner bodywork. To narrow down what I am looking for- what are the mainstream variants that one thinks of when one envisions a GT40?
MK I or MK II? Big differences!

The variations between cars are numerous. How long is a piece of elastic ? !

Door locks, badges & grilles on Mk1 road cars.
Passenger door cut along the top edge with a fixed roof panel on the MK2b (I think the red Mk2b above is a replica).
Different roof vents, at least two types on the MK1 & yet another type on the MK2. Then different race team versions.
Front vent divider on Shelby MK2's but not Holman Moody ones.
Alan Mann cars with reprofiled sides & no rocker panel covers.
Wire or alloy wheels.
MK2b has a rear mounted spare wheel in place of one of the luggage boxes, with changed rear panel & grilles.
And many more, (I won't mention Mirage, rear spoilers or Gurney bumps, this has gone on long enough!)

If you want 'mainstream variants' I'd think of MK1 race car (as it left Slough) & Mk1 road car, plus the seven MK3's.
MK2(a) & MK2b vary, not only between (a) & b specification, but also between who build them & who ran them. I wouldn't consider using the word 'mainstream' for the MK2 family, personally.

So if I wanted to make a model from scratch, I'd pick one car, on one day in it's life (that has pictures of each angle available) & model that.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I guess I meant to say, without getting too far into the weeds... The reason I am asking is I have an acquaintance who is looking into manufacturing models and would like to make the most of his investment in tooling. He'd be looking to be able to offer the widest range of liveries of the most appealing models, all while trying to maximize his return on investment- or perhaps more accurately, trying to realize a return on his investment.

In that context, as a generalized statement, is it accurate to say the main three cars are the Mk I without the flares (ie Essex Wire), the Mk I with rear flares (Gulf), and the Mk II with the raised front arches ('66 Le Mans)?

I understand this doesn't address the details like single or twin nostril, stacked or single tail lamps, big spot lower lights or a fog and turn signal, BRM's vs Halibrand's vs wires, various panel cover options.... Can jump off those bridges later.

Hi Chris,

In that context, as a generalized statement, is it accurate to say the main three cars are the Mk I without the flares (ie Essex Wire), the Mk I with rear flares (Gulf), and the Mk II with the raised front arches ('66 Le Mans)?

There were two different widths or flares for the Gulf cars.

Regards,

Graham.

Back