Money burning hole in pocket !

Andrew

As far as I know there are only two or three component kits been built in the UK at the moment (from A1 Autocraft). Joyn Dryden at Autocraft has mainly sold built cars.

I am currently building a Cav in the Leeds area and your quite welcome to visit or give me a call.

From a build point of view, the kits pretty easy to put together and the fit of all components is excellent. The only criticism I would have is that the manual is not up to scratch, but this is not really a problem as everything is self explanitory. Best thing to do is make a visit to A1 and take loads of pictures of one of their cars been constructed, then you have a reference to work to.

As far as I am aware there are not too many problems with SVA, other than the obvious, (dashboard switches, wheel spinners, Mirrors etc) but these can be easily overcome. I'll probably take mine back to A1 for checking over (piece of mind) and let them put it through the SVA.

I'll send you a private email

John

rockhoppers1964 said:
Hi guys ! I am new to this forum, but have been studying it for a while, so firstly many thanks for giving me so much reading material.

I have always wanted a replica or kit car, but when I first got bitten by the bug some 25 years ago, the quality of the kits appeared to be quite poor, and most stood out like a sore thumb when on the road. My other great love was the GT40, but probably like most people, owning a real one, was a dream that unlikley to happen.

It was a few weeks ago when I saw and article on the CAV GT40 and then a Discovery Program called Dream Machines, where they appeared to be putting one together. Well that sparked the interest again and I was delighted to see that the quality appears to have increased considerably.

So here I am, money in hand, (don't tell the wife) and ready to commit to a long held dream. I have read all I can find and for one reason or another have settled on the CAV GT40. I could ask everyone for their recommendation, but I am sure the response would be equally good and bad for all of the leading brands, and somewhat biased as most people will have only built one make I assume.

So here is where I need your help.

• Is the CAV GT40 a good choice?
  • What does the CAV GT40 need done to it to get it through the UK SVA test?
  • What mod’s are suggested, that while not a requirement of the SVA, are a significant improvement in the standard kit
  • Is there anyone in the UK, preferably Scotland, who as made one and would not object to me paying a visit and asking many questions.
  • Are there any articles, web sites, or forum messages that give more detailed build info on the CAV GT40.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

My $0.02 from an ethical standpoint-

Does anyone from the CAV perspective care to address the questions asked? From a paid CAV forum perspective via VIP Classics, I would be appalled to see the amount of cross postings made under this banner to purchase others products by other builders on this forum.

So this is how it works now - someone on a paid sponsors forum asks that manufacturer for info and it's a free for all for others to pitch their products? You can make the argument that information is all you are providing but I don't think anyone other than VIP are flippin' the bill.

Yikes!

Chris

Posman said:
Andrew

As far as I know there are only two or three component kits been built in the UK at the moment (from A1 Autocraft). Joyn Dryden at Autocraft has mainly sold built cars.

I am currently building a Cav in the Leeds area and your quite welcome to visit or give me a call.

From a build point of view, the kits pretty easy to put together and the fit of all components is excellent. The only criticism I would have is that the manual is not up to scratch, but this is not really a problem as everything is self explanitory. Best thing to do is make a visit to A1 and take loads of pictures of one of their cars been constructed, then you have a reference to work to.

As far as I am aware there are not too many problems with SVA, other than the obvious, (dashboard switches, wheel spinners, Mirrors etc) but these can be easily overcome. I'll probably take mine back to A1 for checking over (piece of mind) and let them put it through the SVA.

I'll send you a private email

John

Thanks john, will wait for your e-mail, then maybe we can talk a little. i will be comming down your way some time soon so thanks for that !

Andrew

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
ChrisMartino said:
My $0.02 from an ethical standpoint-

Does anyone from the CAV perspective care to address the questions asked? From a paid CAV forum perspective via VIP Classics, I would be appalled to see the amount of cross postings made under this banner to purchase others products by other builders on this forum.

So this is how it works now - someone on a paid sponsors forum asks that manufacturer for info and it's a free for all for others to pitch their products? You can make the argument that information is all you are providing but I don't think anyone other than VIP are flippin' the bill.

Yikes!

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

It is rather disgusting.

The CAV is probably the quickest and easiest to get on the road, it comes with all the little pieces that I see people searching for on the web, stainless exhaust, bellhousing(Getrag kit comes with clutch, flywheel, all adaptors), brackets for A/C and alternator, all hoses, A/C compressor, even a fan belt.
CV's and axles, wheels,Wilwood brakes, fully adjustable suspension.
Get a crate motor, a gearbox and a battery and be on the road in a month or spend months(I see years on this website!) searching for the bits and pieces instead of driving your GT40!
If you want a high quality piece that you can enjoy for years the CAV is a great choice, none of us is going to be mistaken for Dan Gurney regardless of which replica we drive!
Again let me make the disclaimer that most of the replicas that I have seen are awesome cars and the CAV is the only one that I have worked on and qualified to comment on.
IMHO

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Chris,

The thread did get hi-jacked as sometimes happens. It's certainly not polite when done by a competitor.

I am guilty of posting on other manufacturers forums however only in offering an opinion or method of solving a quandry, not to poach a potential customer.

As long as we as manunfacturers respect each others patch and let the consumer do his own diligence the GT40 Forum will continue to be the class act it is.

Happy New Year Everyone:)

Last edited:

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Andrew,

You'll do well by the CAV and John at A-1 Autocraft. As mentioned by Mark Worthington, there is quite a long (years) waiting list for ERAs and it will certainly take Superformance a year or two to catch up to the existing orders. But that's the company you're in when looking at a high end GT40 reproduction.

Autofutura is running up to six months on order to ship date currently. This is probably the best pace in the industry especially considering over 90% of the work is done - and top quality at that.

You ought to be deciding soon because the order book will continue to grow and delivery dates become longer. Now is the time my freind.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone who took GT "virgin" under their wing and offered the above advice.

Having looked at all of the suggestions, one thing is clear, they are all good quality and all have positives to commend then.

The ultimate GT40 is probably a mixture of the best points of all the different brands, a beast that does not exist really.

As I expected, most suppliers support their own build program very vigorusly. However i don't always see this as a bad point, quite the opposite. It confirmes that the people behind the manufacture of these replicas are very passionate about what they do. This can only be good for the future. More competiton can only be good for the customer.

I have a lot to think about over the next week or two, a few people to speak to and a few cars to see.

I wish everyone a happy New Year and hope we all have a prosporus 2007

Regards

Andrew

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Canuk40 said:
Hi Chris,

The thread did get hi-jacked as sometimes happens. It's certainly not polite when done by a competitor.

I am guilty of posting on other manufacturers forums however only in offering an opinion or method of solving a quandry, not to poach a potential customer.

As long as we as manunfacturers respect each others patch and let the consumer do his own diligence the GT40 Forum will continue to be the class act it is.

Happy New Year Everyone:)

Hi Ian,

I saw this thread was a topic for discussion elsewhere and commend you on your open-minded and respectful reply. Perhaps the most appropriate thing would have been for the original question to be asked in the All GT40's forum. We all know this topic is a very active and emotional one and Andrew (being new to the forum) probably thought he was adhering to etiquette by posting in the CAV forum.

Thread drift is natural, especially in such highly-opinionated arenas as this one. Move the thread to All GT40's, keep it here- it shouldn't matter... As you say, it's up to the customer to perform due diligence.

Happy holidays and the best to all in '07.

Hi Andrew
As per the comment regarding the Build Manual, I would like to confirm that the Manual has been updated and the latest version sent to John Dryden. Please shout if you need any further information.
We are currentely busy with car #135 and have another three cars on order.
My E-mail is [email protected]
Jean Fourie

Thanks Jean

I have spoken to John who was very helpful, and i am trying to plan to get down and see him in the next week or two, work commitments allowing, so i can have a good crawl over a car and ask "lots" of questions.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Back