Money burning hole in pocket !

Hi guys ! I am new to this forum, but have been studying it for a while, so firstly many thanks for giving me so much reading material.

I have always wanted a replica or kit car, but when I first got bitten by the bug some 25 years ago, the quality of the kits appeared to be quite poor, and most stood out like a sore thumb when on the road. My other great love was the GT40, but probably like most people, owning a real one, was a dream that unlikley to happen.

It was a few weeks ago when I saw and article on the CAV GT40 and then a Discovery Program called Dream Machines, where they appeared to be putting one together. Well that sparked the interest again and I was delighted to see that the quality appears to have increased considerably.

So here I am, money in hand, (don't tell the wife) and ready to commit to a long held dream. I have read all I can find and for one reason or another have settled on the CAV GT40. I could ask everyone for their recommendation, but I am sure the response would be equally good and bad for all of the leading brands, and somewhat biased as most people will have only built one make I assume.

So here is where I need your help.

• Is the CAV GT40 a good choice?
  • What does the CAV GT40 need done to it to get it through the UK SVA test?
  • What mod’s are suggested, that while not a requirement of the SVA, are a significant improvement in the standard kit
  • Is there anyone in the UK, preferably Scotland, who as made one and would not object to me paying a visit and asking many questions.
  • Are there any articles, web sites, or forum messages that give more detailed build info on the CAV GT40.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew

Welcome to the forum and the choice debate.

Could I suggest you also join the GT40 clubs both are on this forum and I'm biased towards the GT40Enthusiasts Club. We have a large membership and I know of 2 cars not more than 40 miles form Edinburgh (that from the top of my head without looking up records) The club will also then circulate a list of members names and contacts that will allow you to phone and meet like minded people locally.

CAV has a dealer in the UK who has the ability to get the cars through the SVA and up to whatever standard you require. SVA is a bit of a pain but achievable with some application and time. After SVA most cars are adjusted to look more period correct but remain very close to the SVA specification.

Ypu mention dream machines and yes I watched the programme and it cost me a lot of money on the phone in! The car is spectacular and owen by a member of the GT40 Enthusiasts club.

On upgrades I would suggest
Aircon these cars are really hot on a sunny day.
Depending on your intended application and track days perhaps larger wheels than the period correct 15 inch ones to house bigger brakes.
Depending on your height a dropped floor to give better internal domensions.
I would also suggest a period style paint scheme as opposed to say a metallic purple as the resale of a strange paint colour could knock off thousands.

And to be fair I have also seen a lot of Andy's (Tornado) cars they are great and Andy is more than willing to assist with your build. I believe Andy has made and sold more kits than any other manufacturer. The Tornado is a space frame and the CAV a mono chassis.

Best wishes for your project

Ian

Andrew,
there is an RCR about 30 miles or so from you,
maybe worth a look before you make a decision
Drop the UK dealer Chris Melia a line melchrismelia at aol dot com

Oh Dear ! I knew that would not be a simple answer, I have had a quick look at the Tornado site and as with others, they look good......the one thing they do have in their favor is that that are UK based and quite central.

One question that has come up is the difference between the Tornado space frame and the CAV a mono chassis, any comments.

A bit of background as to it's intended use may help.......road use only, not looking for the kind of performance that will rearrange your internal organs, but just a nice swift performance.

More interested in getting it looking as close to the real thing as possible.

Andrew

If getting it to look as close as possible to the real thing is your top priority, then you should look at monocoque cars in this order:

1) Superformance
2) CAV
3) RCR

The above assumes you don't want to wait for or can't find an ERA. All the rest are space frame chassis which make for fine cars, and can appear to be quite original, but aren't. The Superformance car is pricey but worth a look.

Hi Andrew.

I purchased a Tornado that was already on the road. If I was to build one myself I would seriously have looked at the CAV.

Suggest you contact John Dryden of A1 Autocraft who are located on the Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead. Tele. 0191 4926019. I have met him on a couple of occasions. Firstly at the Stoneleigh Kit Car Show earlier this year and then again when I visited his workshop facilities. He is a really nice guy and will give you a lot of information about their cars.

A trip down the A1 would be rewarding I'm sure.

By coincidence only the other day I was taking my car out for a short run. I hadn't gone 1/4 mile and I saw a car flashing it's headlights in my rearview mirror. Imagine my suprise and delight to see a Gulf liveried GT40. We stopped and it was a CAV the owner had just taken delivery of. He had only done 1 mile and happens to live round the corner from me. His passenger was a colleague of John from A1 Auto who had just brought it down on the transporter. It looked fabulous.But what a coincidence!!!!!

If you need more info. let me know - whatever,good luck

Thanks for that John, still trying to decide which to go for, so the more comments the better.

Are you still intouch with the guy with the Gulf CAV GT40, i would really like to talk to someone who has one......PM me and we can exchange numbers if he is willing to talk...

Waiting on John Dryden to come back to me...

Cheers

Andrew

Howard Jones

Supporter
My advice to you is to cash in on the opportunity that many would die for. Take a week off work and go for a drive around the UK. All four cars mentioned above are within a few hours drive, well maybe a !/2 day or so. Make appointments and have a real in-depth look at all these cars.

It will really be fun and I guarantee you will make some new lifelong friends. If you are really brave, brief the wife and take her along for a GT40 vacation. If she enjoys it, you're set for life. These people you will meet are the best group of responsible grownups you will ever meet. My wife is getting to know all my GT40 friends as time goes by and the wife's do seam to get along. All real family fun. Give her a go! Wine and dine her for a long weekend and include her in your families new hobbie.

Then take all the brochures home and have a good think.

By the way, these are all good cars. You just need to decide on how much of the work you want to do yourself. Oh and join the clubs in the UK. Lots of help/information there.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Hi Andrew

Howard makes a good point (as usual), how much work do you want to do yourself?
The one rule of thumb in this GT40 world is the more that is already done for you, the more it will cost straight up. Investigate each manufacturer with this in mind and you won't be disappointed.
GTD and MDA are also manufacturing in the UK so include them in your tour of the UK as Howard suggested.

Regards

Bill

Hi Andrew,
If I can suggest u my tip...consider the good think to have near u a producer (as Andy from Tornado is).
I saw some of his ts40 in le mans,they are really wonderful (Ian's red car was a Tornado if I was not wrong)
Too many guys here always thanks Andy in the great support he gaves to anybody has a 40 (not only his wonderful ones).
Probably just think before about what kind of gt40 u would like to have in your garage, maybe something useful for everyday or something similar to incredible GTD rockets in hill climbs.
My tip is to remain on something british (u all know guys how much I love everything...from SPF to Fran masterpieces),and surely join one,or better both:)the 2 Uk club.
U will found a lot of GREAT people inside and too many will help u from minor details to racecar setups.

Just my tip

Paolo

Bill Haralambakis said:
Hi Andrew

Howard makes a good point (as usual), how much work do you want to do yourself?
The one rule of thumb in this GT40 world is the more that is already done for you, the more it will cost straight up. Investigate each manufacturer with this in mind and you won't be disappointed.
GTD and MDA are also manufacturing in the UK so include them in your tour of the UK as Howard suggested.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill, in short, i want to do as much of the work as i possibly can. I am a time served mechanic, all be a it a few years ago. but really want to build this thing from the ground up.....it's all part of the process for me.

Will look at GTD and MDA also, thanks for the info.

Andrew

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Andrew, I'm biased (I have a CAV) so take this for what it's worth...

You can't go wrong with the CAV. Of all the manufacturers (I studied them all in detail prior to purchase), the CAV was by far the highest quality product with the best composition of materials, construction and design available. To put a little context to it - the CAV has a welded stainless steel monocoque chassis. This provides phenomenal strength to weight and is also highly corrosion resistent. The space frame chassis from other manufacturers are heavier and not as strong and look pretty crude to my eyes. And, being made from mild steel they're going to subject to rust issues over the long haul. In Seattle here, and likely also where you are, ensuring minimal opportunities for corrosion is important, so, the s/s chassis makes sense. As to originality, the original GT40s were not space frame chassis - they were monocoque in mild steel (long term corrosion resistence is typically not an issue for a race car).

The above is just one area of comparison. I think you'll find the CAV comes out way, way on top in most every area of comparison. Good luck and go drive a few different examples before buying!

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
If originality is the main thrust then 'Mirage Automotive' make replica mono chassis for a reasonable price. Obviously more expensive than a space frame but as original as you can get today. Based in Poole UK, I visited them and was so impressed I bought one!. The body can be bought from Chris Melia and I can point you in the right direction for other major components.

See this thread.....

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/builders-forum/19573-mirage-automotive-monocoque-chassis.html

Andy

Andrew

As far as I know there are only two or three component kits been built in the UK at the moment (from A1 Autocraft). Joyn Dryden at Autocraft has mainly sold built cars.

From a build point of view, the kits pretty easy to put together and the fit of all components is excellent. The only criticism I would have is that the manual is not up to scratch, but this is not really a problem as everything is self explanitory. I took

I am currently building a component kit (Leeds area) at the moment and you are quite welcome to give me a call or visit.

As far as I am aware there are not too many problems with SVA, other than the obvious, (dashboard switches, wheel spinners, Mirrors etc) but these can be easily overcome. I'll probably take mine back to A1 for checking over (piece of mind) and let them put it through the SVA.

Back