Monterey Historics - need advise please

I am going to this event for my first time. I am looking at tickets and they have:

Sunday General Admission and Paddock tickets for $50, or

Sunday Only Flagroom - Historics for $175
Sunday General Admission, Paddock Access, Parking Pass, Souvenir Program, canopied tent located between turns 4 and 5 with close-circuit TV and hospitality consisting of buffet style breakfast/lunch and beverages (1 parking pass per 3 tickets ordered)

Can anyone comment on which is the better value? I am treating some friends and wondered if the Flagroom is worth the extra $.

Any other advise for a Historics Newbie would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Mike

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
I have attended the Historics many times and because I spend 110% of my time hiking around the track and taking pictures, I haven't done the Flagroom bit.

However, I've heard from friends that the Flagroom is well worth the expense. If you are going to spend the day in the pits and watching from a couple of spots on the track, then the Flagroom is the way to go.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

I have only done General Admission along with "Club" parking (various car clubs get special parking areas track-side). Just walking the paddocks and watching/shooting cars there and on-track (bring a good camera and the longest lens you own) and talking to owners/drivers is a fantastic experience. Having a relaxed place to sit and grab a bite will appease the restless non-car nuts that may be in your party, thus making it more fun for everyone. If the cost isn't a stretch, I would do it.

Other advice is bring:
– extra camera batteries and lots of memory cards (or film)
– a note pad is nice for when you want to remember something your (me anyway) over-saturated brain won't be quite able to retain
– comfortable shoes (obvious, but bears remembering)
– a hat (it is usually very sunny and hot)
– scope out the sponsor tents early for free water and carry bags etc. it goes fast

Mark

You will have a great time. If you can make it on friday it's the best for picture taking and getting up close to the cars in the pits. Friday is very relaxed with the car owners having more time to talk to you while being less protective of the cars.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
My Uncle should be out there. If you know Roland Johnson, tell him Brian Hamilton said "Hi". LOL He's always out there with his clients and their cars. I think this is the race we went to about 11-12 years ago. It was held at a large airport that was used for blimps way back in the day. Really cool race!!

Mike,
As we get close to the event PM me and I will give you contact info. Not sure which car will be accepted this year but we will likely either be running the Cobra or the late model Trans Am Mustang in the IMSA Group (the acceptance letters have not been sent yet and early T/A cars aren't running this year).
Come by and say Hi and you can stash some gear with us so you don't have to lug it around all weekend.
Sorry I have no advise as to which option to choose. I have been going for the last 14 years and have always been too busy to get around much.

Don

This year will be our 3rd straight year but first with the 40. I'm finally trustworthy of the car to make the journey. I agree with the above only to add:

1)Lots of Sunscreen and water
2)Something small and portable to sit on. (no chairs at the corkscrew)
3)Lots of $1's for the volunteers who drive the golf carts. (they come in handy for transport up and down that hill at the end of a hot day.
4)If you don't want greasy food bring it with you.

I don't know much about the flag room but invest in the infield parking pass. It'll also come in handy.

It's the year of the porsche's. I gotta admit I'm alittle excited about that.

Rich.

Back