More than I wanted to know: KEP right ... Porsche starters?

Guys,

In the last post thread I noted that KEP had sent me what I thought was the wrong flywheel. Talked to them today and they indicated that I was trying to run an 87-89 G50 clutch and pressure plate with a 90+ transaxle.

They warned me that not all of the G50/52's had their bell housings bored out to accept the ring gear on the back of the pressure plate ... and I should check mine to make sure. But, if it did they'd replace the flywheel with the one I needed.

Well ... I checked very carefully and I am NOT one of the lucky souls that got one of the fully relieved G50/52 bell housings.

Means they sent me the correct flywheel and I need a new pressure plate, and starter.

Thiis is a cause of some concern for me. Any one out there using the Bosch made Porsche 911 Turbo starter on a 302 or 351? Do they work?

Thanks,

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Re: More than I wanted to know: KEP right ... Porsche start

Mike,

Not positive but I don't think the Porsche starter reliably turns a V8. When I was checking this it was for the Porsche starter that fits the '90 G50, not sure if that's the same one, but I still doubt the Porsche starter will work.

It's not that hard to machine the later G50 bellhousing to the earlier spec. It's basically just 2 simple machining operations. All you do is machine the existing flywheel relief that extends about 2 inches down the inside surface to about 4 inches or past where the old style ring gear rides. Then you machine the starter pocket just a bit and slot the holes of the starter just a bit because the pinion gear has one less tooth, so the starter has to be closer to the flywheel.

Patrick Motor Sports will perform the operation for about $500.00 on a disassembled bell housing/case. You should be able to find a small local machine shop that does piece work to do it for less than that even and save shipping.

You also have to consider the cost of the starter. The reman gear reduction tilton type V8 starter to fit the older Porsche runs about $200.00 from KEP. (too bad they don't build one for the later version) Not sure how much a Porsche starter is but guessing it's more.

Let me know if you want to go the local route and I can dig up the exact measurements/details.

Thanks for the input ... the problem is one that Patrick Motor Sports left me with as they built the gearbox and didn't do the machining to begin with. I must admit that I am not sanguqine about spending money with them.

Anyone else make a gear reductiion starter for the G50/52 that uses the newer clutch?

Chris Duncan

Supporter

Not that I'm aware. Tilton was looking into doing it about 2 years ago but they backed out, you might call them and see if they eventually did do it. At the time the demand wasn't enough to justify R&D and tooling.

Mike,

Peter Ransom of DRB, has the exact machining specs that you are looking for,
having previously done this for a couple of his customers who are now running G50/52s.
Perhaps he'd be willing to help you out.

Bill

Mike,

I have a copy of the specs on the machining from DRB at home - if you need them, send me a PM and I'll try to scan them in and e-mail them to you.

More data from Kennedy. The pressure plate for the 1992 3.6 Carrera has a measured loading of 3200 lbs and is good to 520 lb-ft of torque the standard springed clutch disk. It weighs 11+ pounds.

The best of the 87-89 cast iron pressure plates for the G50 and G50/50 transaxles applies a pressure of 2700 lb on the clutch disk.

They do not know of a starter other than the Bosch unit. They say it works with an LS-1 engine, but have cannot predict its operation with mine.

I have a note into Hi-Torque of Australia. We'll see what happens.

Mike

The 'machining' can be done with a 'flap' wheel in a drill, lots of WD40, breathing mask and overalls. Apparently it takes about 2 hours.
I looked into doing what you are attempting also, but the only starter/s are the Bosch Porsche units which may not be up to the job. I contacted KEP, Tilton, Porsche Motorsports all with the same result.
You can EITHER use the later flywheel arrangement with the Bosch starter, OR the older arrangement, with the machining and a geared starter.
I also enquired of the Ultima crowd
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=101527&f=20&h=0

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford

Mike I have matched up a lot of these boxes toford V8s and you really should consider machining the bellhousing out --much better in the long run forum member FLATCHAT has machined these for me without dismantling the box I am sure he will pass on the necessary info for you to acheive this Regards Denis

Chris Duncan

Supporter

It looks like to me your going to have to make a cost comparison. I believe the 600 lbs light weight pressure plate and disc from KEP was about $900.00.

Looking at your profile you state you have a mill and a lathe. This is a simple machining operation, the one piece of major tooling you do need is a rotary table.

Back