Motorist jailed for blowing up speed camera

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...News&storyID=13417689&src=rss/oddlyEnoughNews

Motorist jailed for blowing up speed camera
Thu Sep 7, 2006 08:29 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British motorist who blew up a road safety camera which had caught him speeding was jailed for four months Wednesday, Greater Manchester Police said.

Craig Moore, 28, took his revenge on the camera, which had flashed him in the Hyde area of Manchester, in August 2005.

Although the camera itself was badly damaged, images of him speeding and returning to destroy the evidence were stored in recording equipment in its unscathed base.

[...]

----------------

The important lessons to learn here are that a) when attacking a speed camera, approach it from behind, and b) destroy the base first.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
They installed this type of cameras to catch red light runners in Houston. Today on the news a local lawyer said he is going to run a red light so he can attempt to fight this type of "ticket" and prove the process illegal. Houston does not mail a red light runner a misdemeanor ticket, they mail them a "civil citation". It is obviously an income generating ploy and not an effort to make the streets safer.

I, for one, applaud our friend who took it upon himself to extract revenge upon what I believe to be a repressive misapplication of governmental authority.

Dugly (the evil alter-ego to Doug)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I visited my brother in Johannesburg a few years ago when the police had installed some of these cameras.
The locals found a chain thrown over the head of the camera and attached to a 4x4 would pull it far enough out of alignment to stop it working. Some also got towed down the road in a shower of sparks.

The SA police then got wise and mounted them in concrete bunkers on the side of the road.

They then became shooting targets! People would hold their pistol out the moving drivers window and shoot across up to 3 lanes of traffic to hit the camera lens. This could be seen as correct by the number of bullet marks in the concrete surrounds.

Ian

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I always thought a can of hair spray on the lense would do the trick :). We have plenty of the revenue generating traffic cams all over here in LA and as one of the most awful traffic spots in the usa you see them popping quite often with the many rude grid blocking drive we have amassed.

Sandy

Back