Mounting a Cayman S gearbox?

I have an inverted Porsche g96 gearbox in a mid engine kit car. For my newest project, I picked up a 2006 Cayman S gearbox for a mid engine project. The 911 gearboxes mount at the end opposite the bellhousing. This Cayman S box has wing type mounts just aft of the CV flanges. The gearbox also has what appears to be a mount of some sort at the very rear of the unit. Is this also a chassis mount for the gearbox or something else like an exhaust mount? More simply, does the gearbox have just the 2 mid box points of chassis attachment or is there an additional chassis mount at the rear of the box?
Also the driver side mount appears to be bent forward, I'm assuming that is not normal and needs to be replaced?
Thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• PXL_20210130_151000567.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210130_151000567.MP.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 333
  • PXL_20210130_151733366.jpg
    PXL_20210130_151733366.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 314
The rear mount is for the exhaust. Not sure about the side mount being bent but a quick look under a Boxster would sort that out.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Dave,
I'm considering the same box for another mid-engine project I'm in the planning stages of. My goal would be to invert it though (and flip the ring-gear), which means more creativity on the shifting components. Engine height is the driver behind that goal.

Thanks Eric, kind of what I was assuming.
Terry, I don't think I've seen a project with an inverted Cayman gearbox?

Dave,
I'm considering the same box for another mid-engine project I'm in the planning stages of. My goal would be to invert it though (and flip the ring-gear), which means more creativity on the shifting components. Engine height is the driver behind that goal.
I don't think the ring gear can be flipped in those but you can just use the 996 box instead as it is the same just rear engine rather than mid-engine so can be flipped for mid-engine use and will lower the outputs.

Back