MSD Distributors.....

MSD can also supply a smaller Dia cap & rotor for Billet 8582 distributors for limited space applications PN's 8433 & 8467 respectively.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Gary
I will take a picture today when I get home from work. The problem is my wife has a very good camera and it makes the file size too large. I will try to fool with it and see what I can do. If I can't post it here I'll send a picture via email to you.
Howard

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK Gary here it is.

Attachments

• 21696-MSD1.jpg
    21696-MSD1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 268

Howard Jones

Supporter
Gary
Cool it worked! Hey this is really easy when you have a wife that does digital. As you can see the cap clears the cross member below the rear window by quite a bit. This distributor is listed in Jegs as MSD, Ford pro-billet, Jegs part # 121-8579, 302 w/Small Cap. You can get a catalog at 1-800-345-4545. I think my catalog was a 2002 Christmas, printed in December 02. price was 224.99 USD. You will need to use a 6A or 6AL series ignition box with this distributor.
Howard

Malcolm

Supporter
Very interesting. Can you confirm that the engine has or has not been lowered? Clearance like that is fine in my books but the GTD with the MSD unit I saw (4.75 inch diameter cap) had the cap hard up to the bulkhead. Nothing like you have shown in the picture. What diameter is the cap on your car?

All academic for me now, as I have the Mallory unit fitted and running well. But I would be interested to know for the next time....

Malcolm

Malcolm

Supporter
Very interesting. Can you confirm that the engine has or has not been lowered? Clearance like that is fine in my books but the GTD with the MSD unit I saw (4.75 inch diameter cap) had the cap hard up to the bulkhead. Nothing like you have shown in the picture. What diameter is the cap on your car?

All academic for me now, as I have the Mallory unit fitted and running well. But I would be interested to know for the next time....

Malcolm

Ron Earp

Admin
Gary, how far are you from Raleigh NC? I travel to VA frequently and must come close to you at some time. I'd love to meet you and take a look at the CAV when up that way.

Ron

Here are couple of photos of mine, I use the large distributor cap and have no problem at all!!

The car is GTD, the engine has not been lowered and the transaxel mounts are original GTD stuff.

Distributor is cheapy Ford, the cap is an up grade kit the I bought from Jegs. Basicaly turns the small cap Dis. into a large cap (JEGS, ford section of the catalog).

Attachments

• 21817-PIC00001.JPG
    21817-PIC00001.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 284

Howard Jones

Supporter
Malcolm...... I would say that the front end (waterpump)of the motor has not been lowered. The engine crossmount has not been modified nor has the motormounts. The two rear donuts that mount the rear of the gearbox were replaced with ones that I dug up in a local parts store that are about 1/2 the thickness of the ones that come from GTD with the kit 3/4" thick instead of about 2". This causes the motor to sit in the car just about perfectly horzontial thus lowering the rear of the motor(flywheel) but not much lower overall. Lowering the rear of the gearbox does a lot of good things, straight driveshafts for one, and about 1 more inch clearance for the headers for another . Hope this helps.
Howard

Malcolm

Supporter
Tnanks for the info Howard and Faili. I shall have a look at my car when I can. Currently no garage yet but plans are nearly ready to submit to Building Control for approval. 1350 sq ft...Can't wait.

Back