Muffler/Silencer Sources

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
I'm building several sets of 180s and am looking to source some cylindrical stainless silencers. I'm thinking single stage rebuildables with typical scrubble/steel wool/glass matt packing. I like the Burns stuff but it comes at a premium. Looked at Borla and several others. Street level sound levels are not that crucial as I live in a rural area and enforcement is not a concern.

The single stage units on my SPF are not objectionable but near the top end of attentuation range for my street car.

Any suggestions from those of you that have been this route?

Best,
Kelly

Hi sir tom, I am sort of confused since I've read one post on (SPAM LINK REMOVED) that burns stainless and coast fab are the same mufflers????? is it not?

Does anyone here have any experience with Burns Stainless race muffler? Any feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Burn stainless steel now for the last 3 years.

Never had ny issue,would recommend and very nice noise but arround 103/105 DB at 3 to 5000 rpm?No issue for road (in Belgium) and rather silent when low rpm.
Car also used for day track.

Rgds
Fred

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the leading mufflers on a decible count. Maybe even some sound bites. A manufacturer or two, in their advertisements have audible cuts that let you hear the before and after sound of several cars that have switched to their brand. Can't seem to remember the brand, but it would be nice to do that kind of comparison for the various brands. I have the Magnaflow 18" units which are pretty loud, but my comparison is in my garage that has concrete walls, so kinda tough to know how loud it really is. I had it cranked up the other day before my computer went haywire. When I turned it off, there were four guys from a local gutter company, who were working on one of the neighbors houses, standing in the garage opening, wanting to see what was making their ladders shake!!!! If mine are really that loud, I will be looking for replacements before too long.

Bill

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Sebring tuning has some mufflers that really knock the high tones down and makes even a loud set up far more bearable...especially where dB limits are low..

Burns race mufflers do not silence very much at all, most real race cars on real race tracks dont have to contend with dB limits and the Burns units are true race parts..
They are superb quality..we use them on the SLC race car..along with a pair of resonators and we were still over the noise limit at Thunderhill...

Burns race mufflers do not silence very much at all, most real race cars on real race tracks dont have to contend with dB limits and the Burns units are true race parts..
They are superb quality..we use them on the SLC race car..along with a pair of resonators and we were still over the noise limit at Thunderhill...
The Burns units are actually rebranded Coast Fabrication mufflers. Yes, they are nice parts but don't silence much at all as Fran said.

Back