Mystery GT40 replica at Coronado?

Hi guys,

Dave Briggs and I saw this left-hand-drive GT40 replica at the car show at the vintage races in Coronado this past weekend:

MysteryGT40Replica.jpg

Click the tan bar above the photo to enlarge, and then click on the photo to enlarge yet again.

It was a nice-looking car, but definitely not a Superformance, or a CAV. We couldn't figure out what kind it was--RCR perhaps?

Anybody know the car?

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
It bears a strong resemblance to Pantera 1889's (Ron McCall's) RCR, IMHO.

The sill stripes and center stripe are wrong, though. Check out page 21, post 419 for photos of Ron's car in his build thread:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/17342-rcr-chassis-14-ron-mccall.html

Cheers, Doug!!

Guily as charged. The car belongs to me, use to be black now blue.

I did use the same paint code as Ron's car, the (painted) stripes are not wrong just different. I designed them to replicate what was seen on early prototype cars.

Car is in the shop as we speak getting webers!

PS the paper on the dash read RCR GT40, owned by Michael Holmes.

Guily as charged. The car belongs to me, use to be black now blue.

I did use the same paint code as Ron's car, the (painted) stripes are not wrong just different. I designed them to replicate what was seen on early prototype cars.

Car is in the shop as we speak getting webers!

PS the paper on the dash read RCR GT40, owned by Michael Holmes.

The fact that it looked so much like Ron's car made us think it was an RCR; I thought maybe that was a 'factory' color.

I'm amazed we didn't see it written anywhere? The only ID we could see on the paper on the dash just said "1965 GT40" with no indication that it was a replica, much less an RCR (although the left-hand-drive was a giveaway to its replica status). Maybe a second sheet had fallen down out of view or something.

In any case, it's truly a beautiful car and you should feel damn proud! But I think my someday-Superformance will be painted and detailed almost exactly as yours is, so I'm biased...:laugh:

Ron McCall

Supporter
The fact that it looked so much like Ron's car made us think it was an RCR; I thought maybe that was a 'factory' color.

But I think my someday-Superformance will be painted and detailed almost exactly as yours is, so I'm biased...:laugh:

Not another one!!!!! LOL ;)

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I opted for the paint color as it looks great on the car, is very close to one of the original blues. Plus it is available in water base. So anytime I need a touch up here or there I don't have to take it to a restoration house to match the color.

Back