Need help with potential SLC purchase

I’m going to look at this car in Detroit. Does anybody have any information on it or know any history of it? It’s on consignment and I have spoken to one of the builders but there’s still lots of questions that they can’t answer which makes me suspicious. All I can find on the inner Webb is it’s been for sale for about a year at one point was listed for 199 and then has slowly dropped over time and it’s been listed at several places but now it’s at a dealership in Detroit.

Rob Klein

Supporter
That's a lot of car for the money, from the pictures it looks built very well. I am not sure about the cars on this market, but there is one builder who I know always gets top dollar you might call him. If it were me I would contact Allan Uzwiak I have his contact info. If you are interested in one of these cars I would try to buy one he has built. Maybe he has a client that wants to sell.....

I checked it out, too over-the-top for me... plus I want to BUILD one. (Did talk them down for $160 to more realistic $130)
1708458003892.png

I would strongly recommend that you have a firm grasp of the details and you can trouble shoot problems, or a mechanic you trust 100% takes a look at it, for instance: do they have a wiring diagram or at least most of the wires are labeled and easy to find? , and the list goes on and on for the fuel system, cooling system etc. Purchasing a kit car can be quite tricky , you can see that historically most people that buy them don't drive them very much or don't keep them very long. That's what I have seen in the last few years. Good luck

"you can see that historically most people that buy them don't drive them very much or don't keep them very long."

Yo bro. Im saving up for mine. Where do you see this happening? Im interested to see if these people youre referring to have journals or disclosures that divulge why they are winding up in this category.

"you can see that historically most people that buy them don't drive them very much or don't keep them very long."

Yo bro. Im saving up for mine. Where do you see this happening? Im interested to see if these people youre referring to have journals or disclosures that divulge why they are winding up in this category.

A lot of people think they're getting into a sports car that will be akin to a corvette/lambo/ferrari, albeit more unique

You're not - you're putting a fucking race car on the street - it's dangerous, uncomfortable and completely impractical.

To put it into perspective, I would say my SL-C is probably 10x more dangerous/uncomfortable/impractical compared to either my Carrera GT or LP640 or Gen2/4/5 Viper (and my 917 is about 100x more, lol).

If you're buying it to be your weekend driver to go golfing, take your wife to the beach and be unique about it, etc (as a lot of people seem to do) you'll probably sell it pretty quickly. If you're buying it because fuck-yea-race-car then you'll keep it.

I do see the difficulties in the "take the wife out" thing. I hear talk about the cabin noise all the time, and I know she wont tolerate it for long.

I live in SoCal and havent been able to catch any of these owners out in the wild so I can actually sit in one...and that would aid in the final decision Im sure.

A lot of people think they're getting into a sports car that will be akin to a corvette/lambo/ferrari, albeit more unique

You're not - you're putting a fucking race car on the street - it's dangerous, uncomfortable and completely impractical.

To put it into perspective, I would say my SL-C is probably 10x more dangerous/uncomfortable/impractical compared to either my Carrera GT or LP640 or Gen2/4/5 Viper (and my 917 is about 100x more, lol).

If you're buying it to be your weekend driver to go golfing, take your wife to the beach and be unique about it, etc (as a lot of people seem to do) you'll probably sell it pretty quickly. If you're buying it because fuck-yea-race-car then you'll keep it.
I have a Radical so the SL-C is roomier and docile and much more street car feel compared to it. I hope to get some more seat time. I wouldn’t say it’s a race car for the street unless you build it with all race components. It’s certainly more raw and race car than an ACR. Ive been fortunate to have some exotics over the years plus American muscle. I understand this car is raw. I had a 1200 hp Viper so certainly know what can kill you.

Reactions: Vee
No just the lowly SR3 but I drive it on the street too. In all honestly it’s intriguing you ask that question because the two cars I’ve been contemplating between have been the RXC 600R or the SLC. The SLC is way more street friendly, front lift, less maintenance, and I don’t have to wait on parts from the UK and normal mechanics can work on it! Also a manual gearbox on the street is way more fun than paddles.

No just the lowly SR3 but I drive it on the street too. In all honestly it’s intriguing you ask that question because the two cars I’ve been contemplating between have been the RXC 600R or the SLC. The SLC is way more street friendly, front lift, less maintenance, and I don’t have to wait on parts from the UK and normal mechanics can work on it! Also a manual gearbox on the street is way more fun than paddles.
siiiiick :cool:

I'd agree the Radical is more extreme on the street than an SL-C

My gen 2 Viper has a 10L stroker with a large paxton and it's a Bentley compared to the SL-C

And compared to a 917 the SL-C is like a Maybach, haha

It depends on what we're comparing it to ... but most people will probably try to compare it to a corvette or ferrari, in which case it's more than they want for the street.

I'd agree the Radical is more extreme on the street than an SL-C

My gen 2 Viper has a 10L stroker with a large paxton and it's a Bentley compared to the SL-C

And compared to a 917 the SL-C is like a Maybach, haha

It depends on what we're comparing it to ... but most people will probably try to compare it to a corvette or ferrari, in which case it's more than they want for the street.
10L stroker with blower!! Nice . My TT was a Gen3. I love Vipers too but you are right nice comfy seats and soft suspension comparably. Gen4 ACR is not as stiff as the SLC.

Neil

Supporter

Verily, thou dost speaketh truth.:rolleyes: Add to that- people who vastly under rate the time and effort needed to build a kit, vastly over rate their experience and skill level, and underestimate the time it will require to complete the build. Slow or no progress quickly builds frustration and a feeling of defeat, leading to "I just want this thing out of here!".

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think that anyone who starts thinking "I would like to own and drive one of those" verses "I really want to build one of those" should buy a complete one and drive it. Maybe even consider a Corvette.

I believe that many people, especially on this website fall into the latter category. The hobby part is the build THEN you get to develop it, and THEN you get to drive it. It's the hobby part that makes it attractive to a lot of us. You don't really have to have the skills before you start.......BUT you should have the desire to LEARN them as part of an ongoing hobby before you conclude you want to buy a kit.

If you are one of those kinds of people then you will have a wonderful experience with a really nice reward at the end.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The hobby part is the build THEN you get to develop it, and THEN you get to drive it. It's the hobby part that makes it attractive to a lot of us. You don't really have to have the skills before you start.......BUT you should have the desire to LEARN them as part of an ongoing hobby before you conclude you want to buy a kit.

If you are one of those kinds of people then you will have a wonderful experience with a really nice reward at the end.

Very well stated Howard (as usual).

Back