Need some inputs on Engine components - goal ~ 400 Hp 289

Re: Need some inputs on Engine components - goal ~ 400 Hp 28

[ QUOTE ]
SB100 requires a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is specially constructed to be inspected by service stations authorized to perform such functions. An emission inspection will be based upon the engine model-year or model-year used in the vehicle. The owner will also have the option of choosing whether the inspection is based on the engine or vehicle model-year.

[/ QUOTE ] (From this website )

What we're talking about is the law (still in effect) that existed before SB100. Under the old rules, a kit car's smog requirements are based on the year of the engine only, and not the body style. At least that's my understanding - I haven't lived in California for 8 years. There are no limits under the old rules, so what Dave is doing is trying to go under the old rules to avoid the 500 per year limit of SB100.

If anybody knows any better about this (e.g., is it really the case that the old rules are still in effect, or must all kit cars be registered under SB100?), please speak up.

Another data point at this website :
[ QUOTE ]
If the vehicle is a replica, you need to establish the year of the vehicle. That's where the catch comes in. You establish year by VIN #, chassis, body and engine. Then you smog to the later of chassis, body and engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The California DMV website clearly states:

[ QUOTE ]
Specially constructed passenger vehicles or pick-up trucks registered without a certificate of sequence are subject to emissions control requirements based on the model-year of the engine as determined by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) referee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Steve,

Are you sure about the '66 motors having the pump? I thought that came in '67 (based on my son's 66 mustang not having one) but I could be getting even more forgetful - will have to look that one up!

My real issue is just a fear of not being able to get '1st in line' on Jan 2nd and missing it again (and having an expensive 302 based engine sitting in a car I can't drive for another year).

Thanks for the inputs so far!

cheers

Is your son's car originally a California car? The other 49 states did not have to have the pumps.

I'm pretty certain it was 66, as I have a block and set of heads with 66 date codes (don't have them written down or remember them off hand, but I'm pretty sure they are pre-67 model year date codes)...

Saw some reference that it may have to do with what transmission was installed...

HiPo engines may not have used thermactor (scroll down to R.) See also: here. Kind of makes your head spin...

The secret is to find some one at the DMV who is interested in this type of project, I worked with the DMV office in Bishop Ca. They helped me get everything ready in advance, vin inspection, brake and lamp inspection, smog exemption. I supplied the receipts on the major components and they made the reservation with Sacramento. I did not have to be there. I am not sure if you have the option of doing things the old way anymore, I wanted an unrestricted registration so I went this way. It wasn't that difficult, however there are more and more of this type of car being built and sold in California and I don't think that 500 certificates a year is enough.

If it's true, as posted in another thread, that there are 70,000 improperly registered cars in California, and if each of those cars has to get one of the 500 annual exemptions to become legal, the situation is hopeless.

Back