Need Verification on Fuel Tank Threads

Howard Jones

Supporter
Neil, the cost I referenced were a custom made bladder and box to fit with all fill plates etc. Thereafter the replacement cost for the bladder was still a couple of thousand for a one off. I tried to find a in production bladder that I could make my own box for and would fit a SLC but that ended in no joy.

I wanted a fuel cell but in the end after more than 30 weekends doing track days over the last dozen years I have never seen a fire that was more than a "carb" fire. I concluded that with each day having a couple of hundred cars there and not more than a handful with fuel cells I was in fact taking a risk but I also concluded it was a small one.

However I will take this opportunity to plug fire systems in all home built cars. ESPECIALLY FUEL INJECTED ONES with their high pressure fuel pumps. I also would add a inertia switch to the pump circuit on any high pressure fuel system for sure and consider one even on a 6 psi carb system.

Neil

Supporter
Howard;

I can see how a custom- made bladder fuel cell could cost big bucks. I suppose one advantage to building one's own chassis is that a standard size fuel cell container can be accommodated. I fully agree with putting in an impact switch in any car that use an electric fuel pump. A few years ago a local racer crashed at Bonneville at 200+ mph and caught fire. The safety crew reached him fairly quickly and put out the fire but it kept re-igniting because his electric fuel pump was still running. They could not locate his master electrical switch to shut it off. This incident mandated a new rule- a location where the switch must be placed. An impact switch would have prevented the fuel pump from continuing to run. That became a new rule as well. Fortunately the driver's SFI-20 fire suit kept him from suffering burns. Race safe, guys!

Back