New car 1st picture posted

Howard... great job. The detail is impressive.You get one chance to make a first impression and you sure made one!Congradulation

Howard Jones

Supporter
I just renewed my Cal Registration for the third year. I have got to stop changing things and just get it on the road. That will be phase 1. Phase 2 paint, Phase 3 Wilwoods, PS BRM Wheels. Phase 4 maybe rod shifter linkage, posi unit in gearbox. Thanks everybody Merry Christmas. VAROOOOM!!!!

i have 6 questions

1. *drooool*......
2. what size engine is that?
3. where can i get a car like that?
4. *drooool*......
5. how much did it set you back?(all together)
6. wanna part it out to me for 1500 bucks?

hey cant blame a guy for trying
tongue.gif

Very nice job Howard, one on the nicer GTDs I have seen. This gives me inspiration to be out in the garage bending metal tonight. Now go make some serious noise with that beast..
Brian

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks, his is a SVO 302 and they say it has 345Hp but thats in a 5.0 mustang with fuel injection, for ign. box and a complete exaust system. I'm gona say this motor is something like 350-360hp, but thats way more than enought. REALLY. I have driven a honest 750hp camaro on the street with street tires and believe me it really was'nt fun. You must remember that you can't make more HP than the tires have grip and street tires just are not slicks.

My bugget is about what it costs for a new corvett. Vague I know but so is the cost of a project like this. Do not start without 50 grand if you want to use new stuff, make more than 300hp and do a first class paint job. It will go up from there. Wheels, upgrade gearbox, brakes etc.

Do like the rest of us. NEVER count up what you have spent. You can search this sight for GTD. I really am not sure where you can get one now or how much they cost.

PART IT OUT HELL ITS NOT TOGEHTER YET!
on the other hand, add zeros, we'll talk

te last question was a joke, considering 1500 wouldnt even cover the engine wheels and tires

dont count what you buy? sounds like modifying a jeep to me. i counted up my expenses and it seemed like forever, and npow i have it all together

about hp, personally for a 40, id rather have a nice sold 45-500 as a peak, thens more then enough and a little extra for the straits
grin.gif

Paul, the air cleaner was made by a fellow named Dave Austin - 1326 Union City Rd. - Coldwater, MI 49036. However the last time I checked he had given up the business. This address may no longer be accurate as it has been several years since I bought three of them. Sorry they are all gone.

Somebody was asking where to get a GTD. Today I think you would have to buy an used car partially built or complete. There have been some good buys in the UK if you can handle driving a rather "blind" car from the right side. Another alternative is the MDA from Mark Sibley. It looks like he has done most of the things that GTD should have done as there car matured, i.e. upgraded brakes, bump steer corrections, foot room and pedal spacing etc.The MDA is now its own marque but it has a lot of geneology with the GTD.

I am the guy that sold my last GTD kit to Howard and believe me he has done a very nice job of tending to the small details of brackets, a/c mounting, custom access covers etc. I think when he gets done he is going to have a very nice GT and one that I will be proud to be seen with. When he gets it rollin that will make three of us within 5 miles of each other. Fred is the other one. I am anxious to see his car as he is just finishing up the paint work - Black int./ Black exterior - Should look nasty!

Bud,

you are responsible for I and Howards's madness
grin.gif
. If it was not for you there would not be three GTs in Northern Cali. Thanks
smile.gif

Howard,

I see the pictures and they look fantastic. I will be at your house on Sunday to see it in flesh. I wish I could drive mine to your house, the body shop told me it will be done by Xmas,yeh right
mad.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Andrew What I ment to say about HP is that when you get sb fords over about 400hp they start to get to a point where hp/$ becomes greater than what is necessary for a good driveable street car, one you can go out and drive 100-200 miles away from home and back. I love big power cars but again with out a lot of grip, 350 hp is plenty for a 91 octain street car. Track cars are of course another thing, more power is faster and faster is why its on the track.
If I was to add up all the money spent it would surely be more than I would want it to be. Sometimes, as in love, the facts are not all that important. I'll never know what She cost, but when its done it will be about the cost of a new corvett. Close enought.

oh its a GTD, are they still in business or should i look into another kit?

when i do start mine, im thinkin about either GTD or that new Zealand company. i think they sell their base kit for like 16,000

and that racing flix video someone posted was of one racing

can the GTD use a ZF tranny?? im planning to go with the even 500hp like i said above, i hear thats what the originals had

Howard- well i live near sears point raceway, theyhave various little racing teams that on some nights go out and race, this guy at my school use to race his chevelle there

i figure ill probably race there on the open nights. besides when i do a GT40, it wont be my only car, since i love my jeep too much to sell it..and i do plan to build up a 2wd offroad race truck

Back