New cav gt 40 monocoque

G

I was told that cav sf have a new stainless steel monocoque car, that will have a lot of new improvements. Im going to wait and see this car, as I was told that it may end up been the best gt 40 replica in the world. Has anyone heard about this car. Comes complete all you need is the engine.

Malcom,
That really sounds interesting. I have seen othe replica monoque frames but they come at a high price. If they do put out this car it will be an instant hit provided the prices stay reasonable. If you hear or get any more info please post it.

Hersh
smile.gif

A few years ago, GTD split their company
somewhat, into GTD Developments (made and
sold the kits) and GTD Racing. Enough
customers made requests for the monocoque,
both for authenticity and structural
integrity. They made a limited number of
monocoques at GTD Racing, and I heard they
were sold before they were built. Then they
opened the manufacturing facility to South
Africa, and that is how CAV was born.
So, if all the GTD tooling is available to
CAV, then I would suspect the monocoque
would be to.

You can pix of it at www.gtdsupercars.com

It looks nice
cool.gif

Ian

G

I believe cav has a new gt40, today I talked to Bill Andrews of HRE motor cars (516-378-5461). He will be a dealer on the east coast and he said the car will be a stainless steel monocouque, zf trans, kelvar body, large brakes, roll bar built into body and will have more room in the car. Before I buy any gt 40 I will want to see this car. I am not sure about the price, from what I know it will be around $63,000, Less engine.

G

Cav,s west coast dealer, Bob Lacey,14805 fisher cove, del mar calif. 858-3423246.

G

Greetings group,

I have been doing the research on the GT40 replicas for about 6 months, a wise idea before investing 60k. The main thing that has troubled me about 90% of the replicas, excluding ERA and Holman & Moody is the use of Audi tranaxles. The Audi box does not have suitable ratios for a street driven car. Fine for the weekend drag strip..but definately not for a car of such road racing heritage. The final drive of 4:11 and first of 3.86 makes me think of a heavy truck transmission or a 4 cyl turbo trans. I have seen that Tornado offers a Renault trans which is better at 3.44 diff. and a 3.36 1st. But for correct performance the original ZF ratios are best. 3.09 diff and 2.42 1st are more to my liking. Dont have to shift out of 1st at 5 mph...

In addition if CAV produces these cars with stainless monocouqe they will be on par with the ERA and Holman cars. I have seen many fine reroduction cars from South Africa, namely the Superformace Cobras, and they are outstanding machines, well engineered excellent quality and finish. At 60k for a rolling chassis, (including the transaxle) these cars will be very very hard to beat.if all that you said is true Mr. King. I think I will give them a call myself in the next week. I think this could be a car to watch.

Cheers,

Matt H.

Hi Matt,
I was under the same impression you were about the trans ratios. All it took for me was one ride with Gordon Levy. At 130 in fourth gear with fifth left tells me this trans is just right for the 302 engine.
Being realistic about my intentions on and off the track this is far more than I or the average guys can handle. If I per chance was a professional maybe a little more on the top would be nice.
I'm sure Gordon will be able to give you a more educated input about the ratios than I.
In St.John Arizone he had the RFGT40 over 165 only because the course wasn't big enough.
I still think the 4:11 ain't bad. Another thing you might check the old posts on Ron's site .There was much discussion on this very subject.

Hersh
smile.gif

Just got confirmation from Bob Lacey.

It will be available next year. About $65K,
will accept Audi or ZF, has SCCA approved
fuel cells, stronger roll bar, and whole
bunch of options.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
I recently heard that Roaring Forties will have a full monocouqe chassis GT40 as well. I do not have a lot of details about it but it would appear to have a similarily long list of options as their regular cars. I don't know availablity either but it is probably sometime next year.

One of these with AC, leather, eight barrel injection, etc. would be a wonderful carr.

Ron

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

RF is sounding better and better. I hope
the semi-monocoque comes to fruition for
both companies
smile.gif

I hope the RF monocoque is ready when I am!

Ian

G

I suspect the RF semi-monocoque will look very authentic when it arrives on the scene. Very strong rumour has it that this chassis being built in New Zealand is for Robert Logan, owner of RF. I've no doubt Robert will put a lot of RF's excellent bits and pieces into the chassis.

Chassis

Boy!
If I would have known there was a monocoque in the future of RF I would have waited. Oh well.
I put all the stainless in place on my space frame yesturday. WOW!, It looks so good!
completely different and now I get to cover all this neat work up. You can't see but 20% of it when it's done. I will get some pictures posted as soon as I can find a URL that I can put them onto and then paste them here.

Hersh
smile.gif

Back