New GT Test drive report in Auto Car

AutoCar Vol 236 No10 has 7 pages devoted to the new GT, with 3 of them driving one of the protypes that has only 400bhp in it...... and it is stating est weight of 1450kg.

Brett

Ron Earp

Admin
No, no cookie yet. That is estimated weight AND they aren't production cars. We want a weight on a production, full serial car. It will be more. If I'm not mistaken the prototype at 400hp didn't have the blower?

Ron

The test cars do have the blower. The difference is it is on a 4.6 liter instead of the production car's 5.4 liter.

They also comment that the interior is not the final one and the wheels are going to change and also the gearbox as I recall so as mentioned above the weight competition cannot be regarded as concluded - the Mercedes SLR apparently has grown from a 1450 kg prototype to 1650 kg - I think they are hoping to get one to Le Mans which may then end up at Goodwood - this could be the German test mule rather than one of the three alleged production units due to be ready next week - there's a nice story that the engineers had to take the cars home to paint them as corporate were going to present them last year just in plain black as a work in progress - I think Top Gear is also due to have a spread this month

Josvdp,
If the cars are going to be anywhere in the next few weeks, I would assume that they will be a at specified Ford locations world wide... lest I remind you that in 10 days Ford will be celebrating them being 100 years young. However, Festival of Speed might be another matter?

Brett

Looks O.K!! But its bloody heavy, too many compromises, too many luxuries, supercharger!?!?, too big!?, and it looks like they have just robbed the good old ford parts bin to make it! No innovation whatsoever!

Such a car should have been made using the latest technology. I know it's made from an ali tub etc. But surely such a special car deserves more attention - I mean Ford could have had a bash at the current Zonda, Enzo, Lambo, Veron!!

They missed the post by miles, a great pity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And the point that Autocar simply fail to recognise, is that a replica is just that, a replica of the orginal GT40, and not what Ford has just developed that appears to be a marketing exercise on wheels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Regards,

J.P

JP,
I think at some level you may have missed the point as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What you have to look at another level is the holistic view. Ford appear to be trying out new ways to develop some special cars that will make them cost efficient like the welding techines etc... remember the GT90? Never stood a chance. Through truing out newer techniques, will probably enable Ford to be more nimble and produce small volume, market niche vehicles in the longer term.

Also, marketting exercise I have to agree, but you read the article they stated that at all the focus group discussions they had pointed back to the original design. Whilst it is easy to chew the bit and say it will never be as good as the original, then you have to agree, as the orginal GT has history and longevity. I think Ford should be praised for trying to relive one of the most beautiful cars of all time, but with a slight twist of modern day attached. I am sure that through this it will generally increase interest in the GT, allow younger people (or those not aware) of what style, class, panache it has and hopefully swell the ranks of like minded people on this forum.

Also, remember those tested appear to be only 1PP models, which will change dramatically to final production. All I can say is lets see... on the other side I think it already looks far better than any of the cars that you listed.... which is half the battle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brett

Brett,

Ford might well be trying to revive the GT40, and sure that's great for the youger generations to see a "new" version, and yes, by adopting cheaper construction they will keep the price down, BUT...

The old 60's GT40 was the pinnacle of design and technology, nothing came close. However the new GT is not, it's a long way short. So in my book their new GT is only a half hearted attempt. Ford can easily afford to make something special. They could have used some sort of modern NASCAR engine, use of carbon fibre etc. Kept the weight down to maybe 1100-1200kg, got the power up to about 580HP, ceramic brakes, active aerodynamics etc. - you get my drift?

However, I must pat Ford on the back though, because the attention their new GT brings will certainly bring extra business to the replica market - which is well deserved. And more enthusiasts to the forum.

Lets see some real facts from test results and see how it fairs.

Regards,

J.P

P.S Miss the point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll eat my words then!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JP,
I agree yes and no. Whilst there is opportunity there, you must remember that the original at least at basic level was built because Ferrari wouldn't sell. IT was designed for race etc.

However, in those days Ford had well Ford. These days the Trustmark that they hold encompaases a lot more (Jag, Aston, Volvo, Land Rover, Mazda and of course Ford). This way R&D and try outs on technology can be spread across brands as well as motorsport applications such as Jag Racing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and Rallye Sport. Whether we like it or not, Ford is a large scale mass producer of cars and rarely produces many oneoffs with limited scale production.

Having read the article, I beleive that Ford are looking at ways to develop some of the techniques here to aid in cardesign, like the aluminium shaping technique.

As for the use of NASCAR engine, these things generally ore not designed to run for durability. Like all things people say that they could tune and acheive more power, which is probably true. You also have to rememeber that manufacturers have labs and dynos and have been through these tests. One would hope that the car has been designed to be as usable in driving sense as say a Focus or Mondeo.

Anyway that's my thought on it

Brett

Back