I hope this works, I have been having the invalid host problem and just found what I think is the answer.

Anyway I am a new RF40 purchaser living in South Florida. I have ordered my car and hope to see it sometime in early next year. You have know idea hoe I am looking foward to this project. I have lurked on this board for years and now can join in the fun.

Peter

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome mate, best of luck with the project. Hersh will look after you.Anybody called Peter must be a good guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, It's about time. I thought you were never gonna find this place! Peter, you have entered into one of the best forums around bar none. These guys who hang out here are great. Not to mention most of them have tons of information about everything from History to where to find things you need.
Guys, Peter is kind of a Porsche nut too and he owns a nice one that I'll let him tell you about.

Welcome Peter.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations Peter - I am very envious!
Having been to the RF factory, I can tell you that you are in for a very pleasant surprise. The workmanship and attention to detail puts most so called "super cars" to shame.
Enjoy!

Regards
Greg

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Greg,

Thank you for your kind words.

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Your car (including parts) is finished and waits for the completion of the Gulf car for Chuck and the shipment is booked for before Christmas.

I am sure that this forum will help you in many areas but please feel free to contact either Hershal or myself at any time.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Pete,
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your project. I am roaring forties owner in Kentucky. If you been hanging around for a bit,I am sure you will have found that the forum is an excellent place to obtain information. Also Robert and Hershal are quick to respond to your questions. Good luck, Jerry

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Welcome aboard, Peter. If you haven't already done so, you can spend your waiting time getting your shop ready or practice some of the skills you will need like metal bending, installing nut-serts/rivnuts, polishing metal, putting clecos in, cutting and drilling plexi, etc., etc.. This will help keep your mind off of the anticipation ;-)

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

Since I had problems getting my first post out I did not get a chance to say much about myself. Each time my post kicked back my next try got shorter and shorter. Anyway as I mentioned I have lurked on the board for several years and feel like I know a number of you like old friends. I listened to your discussions as each one of you reached out to the online community for information or to give direction and each time I learned more about GT40's. It's because of the discussions here that I decided to purchase the RF. People like Hershal and Robert can make all the differance when undertaking a project of this magnatude.

I am a life long car guy, I like all things automotive but truly love cars that combine great all around performance and classic good looks. I have restored 2 cars in my life a 240Z and a 67 VW cab, not mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif As Hershal mentioned I own a Porsche, the model is a 1993 968 Cab. Not the classic and loved 911 but one of the less throught off original water pumpers. But a number of people have now begun to realize just how good the car really was, 3.0 liter 16 valve, 236 HP, 4 cyl. The largest 4 ever in a production car. 6 speed gearbox mounted in the rear. (By the way I just found out that this box is a mate to the Audi 01E.) The car handles wondrfully and is used for Auto Crossing I also show the car and it has won several awards. The real fun of the car is that since only 2400 or so cabs were sold in North America in 5 years and only 713 in 1993, it's a rear car, people have no idea what it is a and what year it is.

The funny thing is that the GT40 has the same combination of power and beauty as the 968 only in vastly greater amounts. I feel very lucky that I will have a chance to own the two cars that I really love at the same time./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before I go I have a question, I have started looking around for a source for the Audi 016 gearbox. I am getting the feeling that this transmission is not as common in the states as in the reast of the world. Any suggestions as to were I can get one? Second question, what LSD is being used?

Peter

PS. Robert, the manual is great but it's true use is to keep you busy while you wait o your car. I have read every page and invisioned myself performing every step. As for the garage, my BMW 5 series is going to be sent to the driveway with my wife and sons car. The 968 is normally covered and will remain in it's place. the RF will be constructed in the second bay, not ideal but you have to work with what you got. This weekend I will start to move things around and add additional lighting.

Pete

Used 016 are very common. Audi specialty wreckers will want $ 300-600 for good used ones. U-pick it places for lots less, but riskier as to condition.

The problem with US 016s is that 99% of them have poor ratios and high final drive that results in a short first
gear and high revs on the highway. Apparently the better
ratio boxes were only sold in Europe. Hersh has one...
but so far no one has been able to find a steady source.

There are ways to improve the 016...specifically install
a lower (numeric) ring and pinion from the Porsche 944,
which is a close cousin to the 016. However Porsche retailers want $ 900 or more for this gear set new.
Some have been lucky to find used sets for less.

You may have also seen that Robert Logan expects
to sell a new (lower numeric) 5th gear for the 016
that I assume will drop the highway revs similar
to the European "U" code boxes. But last I heard
Robert was expecting that to be $ 700-800 or so.
And that does not address the short first gear problem.

The best solution may be to install the Audi 6-speed.
And if you read Robert's post, he was quite impressed.
I never saw a pricetag, but I suspect it's pretty pricey
compared to the 016.

Best of luck.

MikeD

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm thoroughly enjoying the build process and hope to have it on the street by mid summer. I had no problem finding an Audi 016/5n transaxle. I bought one for $200 ! I'm currently looking into swapping the ring and pinion gear out of a used 944 trans. Lets us know when you actually take delivery.

Back