New Parrot RNB6 display

If you haven't seen this new system from Parrot, and if you are looking for a complete entertainment/car monitoring/management system, this unit might be worth waiting for. #CES 2015: Parrot RNB6, the most connected in-vehicle infotainment system | Parrot news

<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Plug in your Smartphone and run Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto to retrieve and display Apps from your Smartphone directly on the Parrot RNB6’s screen<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Capture and automatically record audio and video of the road ahead with the in-vehicle HDR/Full HD Camera<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Use the RNB6, powered by Android 5.0 in stand-alone mode:
  • Integrated navigation system
  • Driving assistance services
  • Advanced voice commands for telephony, Apps, radio and navigation (Voice activated destination entry)
<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Exceptional in Vehicle Network :
  • On Board Diagnostics (OBD2)
  • Vehicle Health Maintenance
  • Native settings monitoring such as steering wheel controls, TPMS support, Parking Sensors, air conditioner control and much more!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Parrot makes good stuff and has been a leader in the Bluetooth technology space for some time.. It will be interesting to see what this costs (street price) when it comes to the market....

WOW! Nice looking unit with about every functionality you could ask for. Cant wait to see the final product and $$$$ ?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Double DIN won't fit in a SLC without some significant mods. Pioneer and JVC have units with all the same functions except for the dashcam.

Very nice though I'd have to agree it would depend on the $$$. Even these run off android...with a little but of work you can get much of the same functionality out of a droid tablet for a fraction of the cost. Might as well go ALL DIY.

Even though the Parrot RNB6 was announced at CES and won the CES 2015 Innovation award, the Parrot website doesn't mention the RNB6.

Last year I looked seriously at its predecessor, the Parrot Smart. Like the Parrot Smart, the Parrot RNB6 is about half the depth of a normal 2DIN unit. That helps it fit the SLC dash, but it would still stick out a bit.

If you haven't seen this new system from Parrot, and if you are looking for a complete entertainment/car monitoring/management system, this unit might be worth waiting for. #CES 2015: Parrot RNB6, the most connected in-vehicle infotainment system | Parrot news

<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Plug in your Smartphone and run Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto to retrieve and display Apps from your Smartphone directly on the Parrot RNB6’s screen<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Capture and automatically record audio and video of the road ahead with the in-vehicle HDR/Full HD Camera<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Use the RNB6, powered by Android 5.0 in stand-alone mode:
  • Integrated navigation system
  • Driving assistance services
  • Advanced voice commands for telephony, Apps, radio and navigation (Voice activated destination entry)
<LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Exceptional in Vehicle Network :
  • On Board Diagnostics (OBD2)
  • Vehicle Health Maintenance
  • Native settings monitoring such as steering wheel controls, TPMS support, Parking Sensors, air conditioner control and much more!

Even though the Parrot RNB6 was announced at CES and won the CES 2015 Innovation award, the Parrot website doesn't mention the RNB6.

Last year I looked seriously at its predecessor, the Parrot Smart. Like the Parrot Smart, the Parrot RNB6 is about half the depth of a normal 2DIN unit. That helps it fit the SLC dash, but it would still stick out a bit.

?

#CES 2015: Parrot RNB6, the most connected in-vehicle infotainment system | Parrot news

It might not be under the products yet but then it's not officially released yet.

Double DIN won't fit in a SLC without some significant mods. Pioneer and JVC have units with all the same functions except for the dashcam.

I thought the issue with double DIN's was the depth? If that's the case then it might not be an issue with the RNB6 because it looks quite shallow:

Parrot-RNB6-4-cy-ac-hero.jpg

IMG_0146slashgear-1280x948.jpg

I think it is still too deep without modifying the frame, or extending the dash. The space there is very narrow.

If I were stuck on this unit, I might try to get a high-end stereo shop to remove the screen and mount that in a custom bezel in the center stack. The rest of the unit could be installed elsewhere.

Or just use an inexpensive tablet, for a fraction of the cost, and a lot of the functionality.

I think this might do what you want also.

My current plan was to use a stereo with the Sony App remote put onto an Andriod, maybe a 7", 8" or 10" screen. My current plan is to mount it in the middle and then put the sterio unit somewhere else accessible if needed.

OH yah, and I was going to add steering wheel controls if possible.

I was thinking a single din compatible with app unit like this one. Sony MEX-N5000BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I could use the android then to run with the megasquirt software and be able to see what is needed and datalog as needed.

I should also be able to add other apps and navigation and things as needed and wanted.

I do plan on making a custom dash, center and console area as needed.

My mind has been going in the direction of a tablet as well. I went with an Android tablet because the OS is an open system and much more configurable than Apple OS. You can make the home screen look like an OEM car infotainment system with large buttons and any icons you want.

Here is a video I made back in Dec 2013 of the Android infotainment system that is going into my SLC. The interface has been refined and is now a blue tinted carbon fiber texture to match the faceplate of my gauge cluster.

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1456-custom-home-page.png

I integrated the tablet into the headliner, between the roll-bar hoops. The PIC below is of the installation, before the headliner was upholstered.

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1455-img-4078.jpg

Last edited:
actually, I think the pop up systems would be very nice and oem'ish , I really like the Audi A8 MMI popup system. Anything can be accomplished with enough $$ and ingenuity. I swear if my Audi is ever totaled, I will part it out for "the cause".

I hadn't really looked at the SLC interior before but now having looked at it I can see the difficulty in placing a touchscreen that's fairly accessible to the driver. Pop up seems like it would be very difficult (and take up more space in dash then ddin) plus obstructive. The first thing that popped into my head were those desks in high school where the table rotated up and then flipped over. I think some planes have something like this for tv's too. I was pictureing something that pulled out from under the dash and flipped up (or over). Or even just something like this but much more minimal.
TV_Swivel_CB3620-258TV_pic_lg.jpg

Back