New powerplant for the SLC

It was not a stock wheelbase or width, as it was not to fit under an SLC body...we fitted the drivers seat forward similar to a Mclaren F1 so there was a lot of shoulder room for all three occupants actually.
It has been shown on TV during a visit to the owners private collection of cars, Justin Bell did the show I think.

Came across the guys. Anyone have any real life, first hand or very good 2nd hand information?

Products Motorsport overview

Zytek offers the complete motorsport package, producing chassis, engines, electronics, electronic gearshift systems and hybrid systems. This range of products enables Zytek to develop “turn-key” solutions for both single-make formula and competitive motorsport.
Zytek’s technology can also be used in conjunction with other manufacturers’ products, offering numerous options for teams and championship organizers alike.
Decades of involvement in motorsport have provided Zytek with a reputation for fast-turnaround, high value, economic and innovative solutions.
Race engines | Zytek Automotive

One of these race proven? engines:

ZJ458-engine.jpg

ZJ458 (4.5-litre)

90º V8 – 700bhp (525kW)

The ZJ458 project was initiated in 2008 and weighing only 119 kg it is one of the lightest 4.5-litre endurance engines ever produced.
Based on the highly successful LMP2 3.4 and LMP1 4-litre units, the 90º V8 has an impeccable pedigree. Petit Le Mans saw the debut of a development Zytek 09S powered by a prototype of the ZJ458. The 4.5-litre was then offered to Zytek’s LMP1 customers. On its first appearance the ZJ458 powered the Zytek 09S to pole position. The engine then made its Le Mans debut, again proving its worth by finishing its first 24-hour race.

motorsport-overview-inset-2.jpg

Another attractive alternative is BMW's new twin-turbocharged, straight-six cylinder engine, especially when American tuner Dinan is done with it.

Autoblog reviewed what they have done.

Dinan S3-R BMW 1M Coupe Review - Autoblog

Here are some excerpts.

Autoblog

Pressing the start/stop button immediately spins the 1M's engine to life. In stock form, the 1M arrived with a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six (internal code N54B30T0) tuned to deliver 335 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque (an "overboost" function increased turbo pressure to allow 369 pound-feet for brief periods of time). Dinan chose to fit larger turbochargers, a high-capacity oil cooler, bigger air-to-air intercooler, free-flow exhaust and increased boost to generate 444 horsepower and 450 pounds-feet of torque.

Even at idle, the sound emanating from the S3-R's slightly larger quad pipes hung below the real valance is aggressive, but it never crosses into the realm of annoyance. Dinan is justifiably proud that its stainless-steel exhaust systems are all but free of the irritating drone and resonation common in the aftermarket world. The system's mellow demeanor under light throttle means you can sneak out of the driveway for an early-morning canyon run without waking the neighbors, or your significant other – ask me how I know.

. . . As I directed the black BMW slowly across town, I came upon a Toyota Prius, whose pace demonstrated that the driver was not in any hurry (as if they ever are), so I settled in a safe hundred feet behind its Kamm tail. In this mild-mannered state, the smooth six-cylinder engine proved completely docile – it's all but impossible to tell it's a tuned engine – and it purrs without a hiccup or stutter. It is . . . as pleasant as a typical BMW 1 Series.

. . .

Slamming the throttle down hard from a slow, in-gear roll immediately rips the tires from the pavement. Once they hook up, shifting into second again breaks them free anew. Even third gear is prone to shredding 1M's wide tail-end rubber. Throttle response is near-instant and almost completely free of turbo lag (a known N54 strength). The resulting acceleration makes the 1M feel quicker than a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray or a Porsche 911 Carrera S.

The stock 1 Series M Coupe will crack the 60 mph benchmark in about 4.5 seconds, a very quick sprint in today's automotive world. Nobody reputable has hooked the Dinan S3-R 1M to accurate test gear yet, but based on my drive, I wouldn't be surprised to see it shave nearly a second off the stock car's time. And, while the standard 1M is capped at 155 mph, this coupe's (engine) is not restricted. "Top speed should be around 180 mph," Steve reports. "I have personally driven it that fast," he adds, proudly. (edited for clarity)
Just think of what this lightweight, powerful engine could do in a featherweight SL-C! :)

i am just speculating, but i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the (n54/55) with turbos is the same or more weight than an aluminum LS motor.. someone please correct my ignorance if i'm thinking wrong about this.

Speaking of 6cyl's .. i would think a nissan vr38dett would be a pretty wild option

The Zytek is a beautiful engine but I'd place money its lifespan was measured in hours, not miles.
Their USA office is just a very few miles from RCR/Superlite. Maybe worth a quick and neighborly look-see for someone in that neck of the woods?

Zytek Automotive, 28175 Haggerty Road, Novi, Michigan 48377 USA

And I would like to hear more about this shifting system. Probably way too expensive, but only one way to find out.

Electronic Gearshift System (EGS)

The Zytek EGS (Electronic Gearshift System) is unique as the only high-level advanced gearshift system which is purely electro-mechanical. Most commercially available automatic and semi-automatic gearshift systems used in motor racing applications are based on either hydraulic or pneumatic power sources.
The Zytek EGS has been specifically developed to avoid the installation complexity, maintenance requirements, and weight associated with pneumatics or hydraulics.The EGS is capable of individual gearshifts in 25 milliseconds, and up to 5 downshifts in less than a second. Additionally, the precise control of the electric actuators results in very little wear on the gear selector mechanism and dog rings, which extends gearbox life, improves reliability and shift accuracy.
Gear ratios are set and stored in NonVolatile memory for downshift over-rev protection of the engine.

Last edited:
Back