New SL-C video

Great video and info. I'd like to see someone do a time-lapse build video to show how easy these cars go together.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Justin, talent always comes off as easy. Be careful with that word. SLC's can be built without a relatively extensive amount of advanced ability or complexity. But these are just like anything else, the result will always be directly proportional to the amount of careful applied technique used to complete it.

For instance the builder does not NEED to be able to weld aluminum or understand suspension geometry to complete a SLC. But any home built car will require some skill in developing the assembled car after it is running and preliminarily complete. This can be as simple as adjusting the headlights, shock settings and seat placement or can as deep as developing a true racecar and all that entails.

I have always been very careful how I tell people how "easy" it is to build your own car in your garage. In my mind it's been about the amount of fun to be had in the doing, and less about how easy it is to complete.

The most fun of all is when someone asks where did you get that? And you get to say "I made it"

"I have always been very careful how I tell people how "easy" it is to build your own car in your garage. In my mind it's been about the amount of fun to be had in the doing, and less about how easy it is to complete.

The most fun of all is when someone asks where did you get that? And you get to say "I made it"

Especially if you are as talented as Rob and yourself. Sometimes we can't leave well enough alone! The sense of accomplishment is simply grand as each small detail is completed!

I only ask this question as it relates to the video. Has anyone actually purchased an slc with for a 4 cylinder build? I see that the SLC can accommodate it but haven't seen any builds.

It seems that when anyone asks if X or Y has been built someone will say there is one in progress. Funny. From what I have seen, ls3, ls2, LS7, LSTT, ls1, LS9, kaytech, coyote, flat plane crank ls3,3 rotor, 6cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl twin turbo, electric, v12 Ferrari, v8 ferrari, V12 bmw, v8 toyta, v8 toyota tt.

I do not remember anyone using a V10 yet? Maybe a BMW or lambo engine. I have seen the W12 volks pondered. Maybe an Audi V8. Seems that if someone knows a certain engine they build the SLC around it. I still think sometimes I should have done the V6 TT thing. Who knows what direction a build will go sometimes.

Jason Heffner is coming by the shop tomorrow to view his V10 TT Lamborghini engined SLC.

Sweet Jesus, now we are talking. All is good now as just about every variant of realistic engine has been covered.

So about the video's. Fran, we need one on this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fran, you going to organize a national event ever. Not that mine is done yet so wait for late next year.

Jason Heffner is coming by the shop tomorrow to view his V10 TT Lamborghini engined SLC.
So much hate right now...

Agreed... (All, I'm Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, BUT... It) Looks like there is a Teaser of this lambo V10-tt SLC on the Heffner performance website now (unless this is a Different lambo V10-tt powered SLC...):
Special Projects | Heffner Performance

Perhaps this teaser has been there for awhile, but I figured that I'd share for those who might be interested in this project, who didn't already know about it...

The car is labeled as "Under Construction". Ooo, now that's tantalizing!... If anyone has any more info/pictures of this creation, please share! My eyes are hungry!...

Heffner's fb page has been teasing a few pics since summer 2013… but only chassis pics. According to them, it will be sporting "a Heffner Twin Turbo LP560 driveline with ceramic anti lock brakes, e gear, and traction control." All I know unfortunately.

Heffner's has always been my favorite (over UGR). They're packaging is amazing.

^^^ Agreed, however I've heard that they can be, shall I say, unnecessarily/overly conservative on their engine tunes (which is fairly understandable with the shear cost of the engines that they work on)... The following YouTube video is my only real source for that opinion:

http://youtu.be/gGnW7byyCFA

Perhaps this particular R8's Heffner tune was an anomaly of some kind, but the tuner (Michael Adkins of mTuned) knows his stuff, and he found A LOT of hidden power in the car.

I know there is always a fine balance of reliability/drivability and on-the-limit power and performance, which needs to be balanced on an individual basis by the car owner, so perhaps my comment isn't worth bringing up, but I thought that I'd mention it at least...

I just watched this video for the first time. I love the "410 cubic inch sprint car engine"!

JR

That car was one of the first 5 production cars, it is now in California although I have not seen it. Photos reveal it has lost its crossover exhaust system somewhere along the road. :(

Back