Newbie! Maybe buying a GT-40

Hi everyone! I had the privilege of seeing Wayne Presley's CAV GT in person last weekend in Ohio. I'm in the process of convincing my wife that she needs to sell her NSX to let me get her a GT-40. I’ll do some research on this site, but where else should I look?

I’m sure the most common questions have been answered, but if you want to share your thoughts here’s what I’ll be looking for.

1.) Which kit? I want a roller. I’ve built a couple of FFR roadsters and I’m currently trying to finish two FFR coupes. I liked Wayne’s CAV a lot, but I know Gordgon Levy pretty well and he’s selling the Roaring 40’s. So I’ll look at both.

2.) How close to the originals are these two cars?

3.) Costs?

4.) Reliability and parts?

5.) How long have these two companies been in business and how financially secure are they? In other words, are they going to be around in 5 years if I need parts?

6.) Before I spend this kind of money, where can I test drive each of these cars?

I’m sure I’ll have many more questions. Thanks everyone!

- Bill

Bill, Give me a call. I have a customer in Houston that is building one of our kits. I will also send you a complete information pack for the RF Gt-40

Hello, this is from same guy previously known as " le mans" --changed a computer and logged on again with a real name.

What comes to your question, any of your suggestions are ok and considered as a qty mfg. If you are a hardcore guy, you could acquire a monocoque for example from ERA, but a spaceframe for sure is
1. cheaper
2. better torsional ridigity
3. gives more freedom for mod´s
4. it is a replica anyway

What comes to a reliability, it depends on components you build it from. Typically using a bullet-proofed combination of Ford 302 with ZF tranny you won´t have any trouble (my experience). See all tranny info earlier on this site. There are as many opinions as are the users.

Please do not ignore the brakes!!!!
I had mine delivered with std. Ford Scorpio brakes (KVA 40) and hardly could drive it to home. AP lockheed has a good setup, also Willwood, what I used (willwood is cheaper).

Again, all the best for the new project, and even thogh it is a replica it turns heads anywhere!!!

Jukka

Back