Newbie with a pipe dream?

Hello all,

New to the forum here (can't you tell from that nice metallic gleam I have about me?).

I have been looking into restoration projects for all kinds of cars. An acquaintance of mine suggested a non history GT40. Am I going to have any luck finding cars that are complete/original cars that need some work? More importantly, and I know this is kind of rude to ask, how much would one fetch? Bear with me as I have absolutely no clue what the market is in these fantastic cars.

Found the site via google. Cool forum setup! Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hi
Real MKI's start at 400K as do real MKIII's. There are NO unknown real cars. There are many good books that list all the real ones, who owns them, and what condition they're in and how they got there. I like the 2nd edition of David Hodges book avail on Amazon.

Errr...that's 400k USD, right? So you figure, getting a rough one (if they even exist) and fixing it up would cost (according to the unwritten rules of restoration I've been lectured in) at least 600K. That's USD, right?

Ouch. Now that was a brief flight.

Although these fantastic cars merit the money I'm afraid that it doesn't fit into my budget. Unless I nix three other cars I'm seriously considering and buy my wife a really really really nice gift. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MK-IV,

On a side note... Did you pull that pic off the web? I think that GT40 belongs to a gentleman I've had the pleasure to converse (only online via forums, mind you) with. Top order car guy, considering some of the toys he's got, and overall nice guy! I'd ask if you were him, but he goes by a different username in the forum I've interacted with him in and I don't want to be rude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, cool pic.

Cheers

Ron Earp

Admin
Stickanddice,

There is a reason the replicas are popular! Racing and street driving a GT40 is not for the faint of heart or for those without a certain amount of disposable income. That being said, the replicas are not cheap either. Many of them can outperform the orignal cars by a wide margin but will cost upwards of $80-90k in general. So, in one sense they are a bargin, but, on the other hand being a replica it isn't pocket change either.

Ron

Ron,

That's a good point. Its just that I'm pretty obsessive compulsive when it comes to these things. I have considered replicas (427 Cobra, 289 Daytona Cobra), but am really hesitant to take the plunge. Originality and being a caretaker for history definitely is worth the money, in my opinion (just wish I had more of it allotted for this!).

I have entertained the option though because I've recently invested heavily into a carbon fiber company. No, it has no automotive use, exclusively marine applications, but it might be nice to make a tub and bodywork out of carbon.

Where would one go about getting molds for these things? Wooden buck would be perfect! hehehe. Hey, one's entitled to wish!

I'll wander around the forum and try to learn as much as I can. I appreciate your response!

Cheers

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ooooops!

Howdy. Given the prices you quoted I think my stint here in this site might unfortunately be shortlived. Seeing as to how I'm having garage problems as is, this might be a good thing. Then again this full carbon fiber idea has taken hold. Kind of like a mad scientist thing. I just LOVE the rumble of the big blocks...

Cheers

Ahhhh!!

I just sauntered over to the Original GT40 section. Should've known better. MK-IV, that definitely "be you". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

My MK-IV interestingly has a composit tub. Henry Ford II got Brunswick aerospace to stop the B1 line and build him 12 tubs. Alum honeycomb, composit. 36 years later it's still very strong.
Best

That's awesome.

One of my engineers built test panels for the B2 Bomber. He's very well versed with carbon/graphite composites. I'm really seriously toying with the idea, since they have the computers and stuff to do all of this. This guy built jet thrust flaps among other things. They withstand temperatures of up 7000 degrees Farenheit. Due to the nature of our business we also have access to carbon composites which you need a military type license or something to get a hold of. The normal carbon bits you see in street cars withstand a temperature of around 450F (if that) and have horrendous wet/dry, hot/cold structural integrity.

I'd definitely do a honeycomb. Extremely light, good insulation, and very strong. Best of all worlds.

It's awesome how those GT40s turned out. The most powerful automaker in the world building the best race car they could for the most important and trying racing, with an unlimited budget! Never again in history will we see the likes of an effort like that. THAT's what makes these cars extra special.

I don't really envy much in life. As a matter of fact, I'm a pretty "envy-free person", but Jim, you have a way to make my "envy-meter" spin around like crazy.

Cheers

>>I hope I never prang it...<<

AAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Don't even say it! The words alone are just painful!

By the way, I'm going to take you up on that offer to visit you in NYC. I'd travel across the globe to see the project you got going, much less the finished product. Also considering you have the Penske/Donohue Lola T70, which I'm a BIG fan of.

Any help you need that I can offer assistance with, consider it done.

Cheers

Back